new mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

Hey Cory,

Good to hear that things are finally starting to fit into place. Hopefully you'll get launched sooner than later. Sounds like you've though much of the fittings out already.

I'm also curious about the double backstays, is this more of a have "spare" if one goes, kind of thing? If I remember correctly, I thought you also had another aft wire coming down to help supplement the support of the dingy davits and solar panel array, when in waves. With the two backstays, would you just attache a support wire from both of them?

One thing I wish I could sometimes do, is access the wire connections at the base of the mast and where they enter the deck. I'm sure its a structural issue to have an access port that you could unscrew and get to the wires. You know and save the whole de-mast and re-mast operation.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

cmainprize

The dual vs split backstay was for a couple of reasons.  I found the split stay was a pain when putting the mast up.  I needed to use a halyard to pull mast back to get the threads to start on the aft turnbuckles.  I wanted to move the stays as far out board as a could to avoid the bumping into them.  The split only allowed for a short area for the backstay adjuster to move, vs a longer area for the dual stays.  The splitting triangle added a bunch of fittings and pins that are not needed.  The failure of the single stay was not really a concern.  Yes Fred, I also support my davits with a lighter wire to the mast head.   The mast head was still wrapped in packaging when I saw it last week so I need to figure that this week.  Lots of little things will change with the new setup.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ed Shankle

Cory, will you use the same attachment points and hardware on the stern for the dual back stays?
Last time I replaced the standing rigging, I was considering changing to the mkII type of split backstay, and Ron brought up a good point about the angle of the stay to the hardware attachment in the stern, that the connection would be at a different angle then what the mkI split backstay is designed for, potentially creating some stress on the connection. If you are not changing the hardware on the stern, will you also have an "out of line" connection? Any input from Catalina on making the change?

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

cmainprize

The new mast and boom are finally done.  Everything was changed from the mast step to the antenna including all standing rigging from cotter pin to cotter pin.  A couple of small hiccups but everything is finally done.  One shroud was too short, and the sail slugs had to be changed.  The sail was finished last night and will be going up today with the first shake down and mast tuning over the weekend.  The backstay was kept in the original configuration and not changed to the full dual setup, (they forgot) this may be for the best.  The new setup looks great and I looking forward to seeing if the boat feels the same. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

cmainprize

Finally got the sails up and all the little things back together and tested everything yesterday.  Everything  seems really good.  Still a bit of mast running to do as I suspect the shrouds will stretch a touch after they a have a couple of good sails on them. The new system looks great and the boom and goose neck fitting is excellent design.  The turnbuckles are the open design which is also a nice change from the covered ones from the factory and the sta lock fittings look very cool.  The new style sails slides allow the mast to go up without even touching the winch and the sails drops like a stone when released.  All in all it was a PIA but the rig is awesome and a great improvement to the boat.  I am rarely impressed by a mechanic, but I can't say enough about James from Bayport.  He was methodical and his workman ship is excellent.  Thank you.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario