Adding Mast Cleat and Genoa Furling Line Cleat

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Hi all,
I want to add to additional cleats and am looking for some advice on cleat type, size and location.  Following are the 2 cleats I want to add and why:
1:  A mast cleat to use when lifting the keel-stepped mast prior to haul out.  I use a sling for the gin pole hook, with a line running down to a cleat on the mast.  It is a 7" Forespar cleat (marelon or aluminum?)  I'm concerned that it is not strong enough and would like to add a larger, more substantial cleat. 

2:  A smaller cleat to attach the Genoa furling line to, especially when sailing with the Genoa partially reefed.  I was thinking a small 4" marelon jam cleat might work for this?? 

I would appreciate any thoughts you have based on your experience.  I'm sure there are lots of options.  Thanks.
Mike......
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Jeff Tancock

Can't help with the mast cleat, but for the furling cleat I bought a large (8"?) sliding track cleat that I remove when not needed. It's only on when the wind pipes up and I think that I might need to reef the headsail. I sometimes use it when rafting to certain boats...usually larger power boat as a spring.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Mike McDonald

Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

patrice

Quote from: Mike McDonald on August 19, 2013, 09:06:28 AM
Hi all,
2:  A smaller cleat to attach the Genoa furling line to, especially when sailing with the Genoa partially reefed.  I was thinking a small 4" marelon jam cleat might work for this?? 

I would appreciate any thoughts you have based on your experience.  I'm sure there are lots of options.  Thanks.
Mike......

Hi,

My line for the genoa furling come on the port side thru small stanchion pulley.  And I have a 4in. cleat attach on the outside coaming wall after the winch.
The remainder of the line get in the molded pocket inside coaming wall.
Here is a picture that I just crop from the whole side, not sure if it will be good ...

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Mike : I have a 5" aluminum jam cleat for the furling line on the side coming.

On the mast I'd use a 6" aluminum cleat.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Mike,

I have the cleat mounted just as Patrice had mentioned.  However, the PO had a nice arrangment that I liked and one that I continue to use.  Mounted on the forward rail of the aft pushpit, is a swivel ratchet block.  This allows me to easily adjust the amount of line given out if I want to reef in the Genoa.  I have adjusted the direction of the cleat a couple times to accomodate my preference but it seems to work fine for me.  Several of my boat neighbors have also tried this solution as well.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

We have our furling line on starboard, but have a non-ratcheting block at exactly the same position that Kevin shows.  In lieu of a deck mounted cleat like Patrice showed, we installed a Johnson cleat clamped to the stanchion above the block about halfway up to the lower rail of the pushpit.  Since we never reef either of our two jibs (we choose the jib for the season and always fully deploy either our summer 85% or winter 110%), I'd thought about the ratchet block but decided we didn't need it.  I just think that having a cleat on the rail may be better than putting one on the top of the coaming, since I tend to want to stand or sit there.

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Like Stu said don't mount a cleat on the deck as it tends to get in the way and is a trip hazard.

Mount your cleat on the side angled coming like I and Pat did.  

I also have a #16 Lewmar ST winch mounted on the deck aft of the primary jib winch.  I can also put the furler line in the self tailer - which I frequently do.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

Lot's of good idea's.  Thanks everyone.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ken Juul

not sure I would trust a cleat to hold the weight of the mast.  Most places I've seen use a rope with a loop.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Guys : I'm sure that Mike uses a loop above the balance point and the cleat is to secure the bitter end. 
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

For the furling line, Garhauer makes a stanchion mounted cam cleat that swivels.  It grips the line very effectively and is nicely out of the way.  Super easy to install and no new holes in the boat needed.  I like it better than a regular cleat because a cleat is an odd angle if mounted on the coaming and it is not easy to tie a cleat hitch under load if you are furling the headsail.   

Stanchion Blocks
SB-25C - Stainless Steel Blocks length: 3-1/2 width: 2-5/8
weight: 11 oz shackle: 
sheave diameter: 1-3/4

25 series block with swivels 360 degrees. Comes with cam cleat

$45.00
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mike McDonald

Hi Ken,
Ron is correct.  The line that I cleat is attached to the loop.  It does carry much of the vertical lifting weight as the mast is pulled through the deck.  Once the mast clears the deck, it is swung to a horizontal position with the loop carrying all of the weight at the balance point.  You are right about carrying all of the weight on the cleat, that would be too much for most cleats, I'm sure. 

Claygr,
That sounds like a good idea, I'll take a look at the Garhauer Stanchion mounted cam cleat.  Do you mount it to the forward stanchion of pushpit, or one of the lifeline stanchions?  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

patrice

HI,

I would mount it on the pushpit post, this way you can acces the line from the cockpit.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Kevin Henderson

Mike,

Take a look at the picture of the location from my previous post.  Mine is exactly the same arrangement that Claygr has except mine is a Harken Block.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau