Taken out center bar of stern pulpit...?

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

I have read that others have taken out that center bar on the stern to make there MK1's a walk thru. Curious does it compromise the integrity of the whole stern pulpit.
I have my grinder in the ready... thanks Ron

prh77

Have a friend with a 1989 C34 and the bar is not there. Looks factory or someone did a REALLY nice grind and polish job. Makes it so much easier walking through stern.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Ron Hill

Ron : It may not be the main structural member, but that center bar is an important one for strength of the stern pulpit(pushpit).
Ron, Apache #788

Kevin Henderson

Transom pushpit rail removal (With a picture)   8)

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Transom-Pushpit_Rail_Removal

:abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

jmcdonald

I cut out mine, and love the access. I used clamp-on rail fittings and one inch tubing from west marine in
the corners of the push-pit on the lower rail to give support. Over a year of hard use,and everthing
is still good and sturdy.

RonE

Thanks for the responses,
Nice work Howard and thanks for the link...
JMcDonald do you happen to have a photo of how your stern rail now looks..
Thanks Ron

jmcdonald

I can take a picture over the weekend . I will post them the first part of next week.

Paulus

Ron, my boat is a 1989 and I do not have center post.  I am the second owner but looking at the gate etc., I believe it came from the factory this way.  Maybe it was an option?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : That center post was standard and not an option!! 

If there is any lateral side force that center bar helps distribute the load to the otherside base plates!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Buys : The picture that Kevin has is the way to do  it -- with welding another piece from the cut off section to attach to the deck for added lateral stability.

I just wouldn't cut the center section out and expect the pushpit to survive.  My thought
Ron, Apache #788

RonE

I agree Ron,
Finding a welder is a bit of issue in Brooklyn,
I couldn't find one a couple of years ago to do some welding on my last boat. 
We have no one in our Marina, and welders will not come out and lug all the gear for a small job.
Ron E

Stu Jackson

Ron E, it might be possible to use bimini stainless steel fittings to provide the support.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

Prime Industries has the best pricing on stainless bimini fittings by a long shot.
I just bought 8 top end caps, 2 take apart slides 2, jaw slides and 2 double jaw swivel slides for 99$
Everywhere else was 134, to 185$

http://www.prime-industries.biz/servlet/the-Marine-Hardware-cln-Bimini-Top-Fittings/Categories

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

RonE

yes Stu,
That is exactly what I thinking,
Possible a 'tee' and cut piece of stainless tubing and a stanchion base.
Thanks for the marine hardware sight Dan
Ron
Is the stern rail 1" ??

jmcdonald

Ron, I took these two pictures Saturday. The parts slip fit together, so when I trial fit
everything, I dimpled the tube to give the set screw a better redgister to set against.
Because it is a slip fit and not a press fit, I coated the end of the tube with epoxy so when
It hardened I would have a tight fit. I don't seam to have any more flex now than I had
before I removed the center bar. With that bar gone, it is so easy to go in and out through
the stern. Way easier for the wife and kid.
I'm working from an I-pad, and I can't get it to post the pictures. Ron, send me your E-mail
if you want them right now. I'll keep trying to get them posted.