Deck moisture on Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Weiss

I'm pretty comfortable with this yard. I keep my current boat there, they've done some work for me and I've been happy with them. They've never given me an estimate and then ended up charging more for the work. In this particular case I'm a little hesitant because I don't know if it's possible to know for sure without takin some samples of the core.

efhughes3

Maybe worth conversation with them on how they arrived at the conclusion. Maybe meet them at the boat.

As mentioned earlier, I'd go lean toward them. But, get the worst case version to negotiate with.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Steve Weiss

That's what I'd like to do, I just have to find out what the worst case actually is. The broker handling the sale is very skeptical of the yard's assessment, he thinks the core is bad. He was going to call them to discuss it when I last talked to him on Friday, so for now I'll wait to see what comes of that.

Ed Shankle

For what it's worth, I had to get a survey this spring, for insurance purposes. The surveyor, well known and experienced, with a good reputation, told me that moisture meter results are not to be trusted unless provided by a well qualified tech who did the test under the proper conditions. Maybe it was self promoting, I don't know, but if there is a modicum of truth to it, buying a moisture meter and going off around the boat with it, may not be the best approach.
I'd ask the same questions you have to your surveyor and to the glass guy and keep digging with them until you are comfortable with the answer.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Steve Weiss

Ed,

Thanks, I've read some similar things- that moisture meters can give varying results and only tell part of the story. I came across this article yesterday, which was an interesting read:

http://www.marinesurveyor.com/meters.html

At this point I'm going to wait for the broker to get back to me with where he thinks we should go from here.

Steve

Steve Weiss

So here's the update. The yard went back and checked the decks again, it was a different guy (with more experience) who went this time. He agreed that there is an area of delamination where the surveyor indicated. I talked to him on the phone and he says that he really doesn't think it's that bad. He said that if it was his boat he probably wouldn't even replace the core in that area, he would just dry everything out. But I got an estimate for the full repair work, about $8000. So I suggested to the broker dropping the price by $7K, which the seller accepted. I'm sure some will say I should have gone for more to cover the full repair cost but I'm comfortable with the final price and he, maybe I get a little positive karma on my side.

The survey identified a few minor mechanical/electrical issues that the seller has now taken care of. The surveyor is going to go back and check those out and if all is well I'll be buying a new old boat.

Gary

Steve,

Our survey 10 years ago showed some delamination or voids in the deck similar to yours. It was explained as an area where the deck and plywood had some separation. The surveyor suggested it was somewhat common and that to inject resin would fill the void.

I would be happy to help further if you would like more conversation on this. KIJE is located in Falmouth Foreside and we will be sailing until the end of October.

I think I have seen the boat you are looking at listed in Yachtworld? I will check it out again......

Again, glad to help or converse by phone; or do a sail, if that would help with your decision making.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Steve Weiss

Gary,

The boat is indeed on yachtworld: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Catalina-34-2447097/So.-Portland/ME/United-States

I will probably shoot you an email shortly, curious to find out what you did on your boat.

-Steve

MarkT

Sounds like a good solution. But for those of us who live where is doesn't ever rain and the deck never gets wet I,m prepared to bet that there is moisture in the deck of their boat. A 25 year old boat is going to have all sorts of issues. I can't help feeling that the issue of moisture in decks and the repair of this is a great way for yards to make money, surveyors to find faults and something to worry about that makes no difference to the way the boat sails, how she looks or how safe the rig is. </end rant>

The C34 is a fantastic boat that is well built and sails beautifully. You are going to be very happy with your purchase. Congratulations

Mark Tamblyn 

Steve Weiss

Mark,

Thanks, I think I will definitely be very happy with the boat. I'm still waiting for the surveyor to check out those last few issues so the sale isn't done yet, but I already can't wait for Spring.

Steve