Cabin/Running Lights issue (Similar to Fred's but different)

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

The other night, my wife was turning on our v-berth LEDs. They came on at about 50% strength... Also, the other lights went to 50%. In addition, if we turned on any of the under cabin lights (Original incandescent, now LED), running lights or fans, the V-berth lights went out while the other mentioned stayed on. When the a fore mentioned lights were turned off, the V-berth LEDs come back on at 50%. I've checked connections. Also, Florescent in the head (Same circuit) works fine regardless of load.. I'm stumped!!!!!!!!!!! These lights have worked for years without issue.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Fred Koehlmann

I'm not an electrician, but it sounds like somewhere the cabin lights have been "switched" to be in series! At least part of it might be in series with the remainder. I wonder if you had a weird short that crossed polarities? Did you smell a burning or odd odour before or just as this stared to happen? Did you just recently do some light wiring? Just a thought, since normally a short would blow the breaker/fuse and you would have no lights.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Lance Jones

No, I haven't changed anything. That's what has me baffled.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I'll bet that you've got a blue connector problem just like I had!!
"Out of the clear blue sky", just like my lights!!

Look at Fred's post again!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron. I'm in the process of tracing the wiring. What fun.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : The wiring is easy to trace and as I said there is a blue connector at every cabin light fixture!!

You probably won't find anything as spectular as Fred did, so just get rid of them all! 
Wish there was an easier way.   Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

If it's electrical and it's intermittent (like whoa, just happened) then it is a connector.  Or a bad wire.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622