Packless sealing system emergency leak what to do?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

That's a good idea.  Rescue tape, sold at hardware stores would work, too.  Trouble is that you most likely wouldn't be able to motor if you had a catastrophic PSS failure, but you could always sail and anchor.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

So, I spent some time thinking about this.  Here's an idea:  You could make a thick rubber pad that would enclose the bellows.  It could be secured along the long axis (along the shaft) by a pre-made closing device.  Think two stainless tangs, with holes for bolts.  Put it around the shaft and bolt it closed.  One (or two) clamps around the aft shaft tube, and clamp(s) around the forward rotor.  This would make a water tight seal, and posibly even for use of the motor??  McGiver Lives!
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

Never used this, I read somewhere, that wax rings for toilots are good for sealing low pressure large leaks.  Sounded workable to me so I carry a couple for emergency. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : I the past 25 seasons that I've had my C34, there were 3 times that I had to shut the engine OFF.

Only one of those times was I able to sail to the dock. 
The other 2 there was not a breath of wind and my 1st Mate refused to man the "long boat" (dink) and row as a tow!!   
Ron, Apache #788

captran

when we bought Voyager 12 years ago we had the dripless PYI/PSS installed and have been very happy with it. we only use the boat 8-9 weeks every summer and then have a 10 month layup. we have not relaxed the bellows in the off season, thinking that all that undoing and doing might cause more problems.  we are very careful about not getting fuel or fluids on the bellows.  last year we noticed more carbon spray and I just talked to the yard after reading all this and will have new bellows and collar replaced this off season.  I like the comments about a rubber kit to clamp over the bellows, even if all it did was slow the leak until I could get somewhere, but frequently we are days away from a yard when out cruising for 2 months.  had I known at the time of the other product that works well with the traditional shaft coupling, I might have tried it, but had just come out of a "bad relationship" with the traditional type on my Newport 30 that required constant attention and adjustment, and I always worried if I had too much or too little drip.  But I sure like a dry bilge. (of course, the condensation often adds a few drops in the northwest.)
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Guys : Actually the Green goop and the Gore threaded packings have both worked for me.

I used the goop starting in 1989 and only took it out - because "Curious Ron" had to see if it was still there!!

The Gore GFO is much easier to deal with!!   My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

I put GFO in during our haul out in February.  Had a bit of warming on our motor back to the Marina, did one small adjustment after that and have not had a bit of problem since.  It is nice not having to move the aft cabin stuff every three weeks just to adjust the packing a bit.  Would highly recommend the GFO. 

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987