Another way to lose your dorade cowl

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Most people think the only way to lose one is from the mainsheet catching the cowl.

We did a tack yesterday.  But on a port to starboard tack we came through the eye of the wind,  15-20 knots apparent, too slowly. Both of the jib sheets started flogging.  BTW, the jib was our "summer" high wind 85%.  High clew.

I was down on the port cockpit seat tailing the port jib sheet.  As I hauled it in, as fast as I could, I saw, out of the corner of my right eye, that newly cleaned and polished port side Dorade cowl get tangled in the jib sheet and fly off the boat.   :shock:

The dodger got in the way of me reaching for it, and they simply do not float!  :cry4`

I'd written a Tech Note about our "new" at-the-time cowl/dorade vents.  (Only for C34IA Members: http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf)

My good friend, Dave, who was at the helm, said, "We'll look for one on Craigslist!"

On his iPhone.

Right answer.

Only thing was that we could only find someone selling the base and not the cowl!  :devil :devil

Hmm, wonder why...  

I tried a consignment store in our marina, but they didn't have one.

Looks like a new one is in store for us.

Anyone wanna buy another base?

It's NOT always the mainsheet on a gybe.  

Mainsheets always get a bad rap... 8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : My crew (sometimes just me) always keeps the slack out of the sheet lines as we've caught the lazy sheet on the closed FWD hatch and a friend lost his solar vent because the lazy sheet caught it.

On APACHE - Tight (no slack), not super taunt is good when we tack - loose is bad.  When I tack by myself I try to control both genoa sheet lines.
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

What crew?

I was the crew.   :cry4` In those winds there was NO WAY I was gonna be outside the cockpit.  'member, San Francisco Bay winds in the summer.

I also had noted: BTW, the jib was our "summer" high wind 85%.  High clew.

Who needs to run jib sheet lines around in a sail that's smaller than the fore-triangle?  C'mon.

It's a story, it is real.  That's all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

scotty

I agree with Lance.  Taunting those poor defensless jib sheets seems cruel.   :thumb: 
Scotty

Indian Falls

Stu

Since I replaced mine with air only ventilators I saved my one remaining cowl for just such and occasion.

See at the link below if mine is the same as yours. 

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6238.15.html
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Dan, for the links.  Unfortunately, they are not the same.  As the link I provided to my Tech Note article mentioned, they are Marisafe cowls.  The downside is, as compared to your new ones, the cowls are not screwed in place, they are only a press fit onto the body which is screwed into the deck, which is why it went flying.  The Marisafes were a replacement for the OEM Vetus dorades.  Do I understand you correctly that you replaced your OEM Vetus with the air only and still have the Vetus cowls?

However, you have given me a good choice, since yours look more secure and the price is right.  Thanks again, I'll do some more investigating.  They lasted for 6 years, but a more secure attachment sure wouldn't hurt!

Of course, the first thing I said to David was that I had planned to screw the cowls into the bases...

Ralph Masters

Stu,
That is the exact same way I lost our starboard one.  Saw it sink in the murky waters of SD bay as we went by.  BTW - WM about 75 bucks each.  They are an expensive store but you can usually get what you go in looking for.

Sorry about your misfortune,

Ralph
Ciao Bella 
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

When my cowl vent goes overboard - that stainless vent (more than +$75) will sink a hell of a lot faster than the plastic ones!   A sobering thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

Stu,

I had to replace everything. The pics are of the old Nicro dorades and cowl vent and the new Air only ventilator.  Kind of a before and after set of pics including a celebratory frosty beverage.  Really happy with the 185$ total for both which included a whole one for spare parts.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Dan,

Thanks to your earlier link, I've been able to find someone who sells just the cowl.

http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/plastimo_cool_n_dry.html

Much appreciated.

Stu

PS  My friend David found this via his iPhone:  http://www.marisafe.com/store/viewItem.asp?ID=458010520&CID=45803020

Added: September 30, 2011 - Got the replacement cowl only from Marisafe: $40 plus shipping.  Good deal, works perfectly.