Exhaust Riser repair

Previous topic - Next topic

prh77

Pulled the riser after seeing soot on the heat xchanger. Found it to be in good shape, except for the black pipe being loose between the engine flange and the 90 degree elbow to the verticle pipe. Removed the black pipe from the engine flange. The rest of the riser and the engine flange are in good shape.I assume I can thread in a new piece of black pipe from a plumbing suppy house. As per the wiki section,I will use muffler cement on the threads. What type of insulation should I use? The riser had a fiberglass-like cloth , then a fabric tape, then metal tape. I know I can go to speed shops etc, but I was hoping some one had just done this job and had some thoughts. Thanks.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Stu Jackson

Peyton,

A quick search on the word insulation found this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4233.0.html

Another suggestion was to use auto store high temperature exhaust insulation.

Do a search and read some more.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I wrote in the Mainsheet tech notes back around 1996/97?, that Catalina started to use stainless piping in the exhaust riser with (approx) hull # 350. 
There is nothing wrong with a black pipe riser, but it will not last as long as a stainless riser. 

prh : If your piping is only "loose" you can try tightening it or get a new piece made and threaded.  I'd try to seal the threads with some muffler paste.   A thought

Ron, Apache #788