Exhaust Manifold Insulation

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelley Dean

I recently removed my exhaust manifold for inspection, since I had it repaired 6 years ago. I am looking for ideas on what I can use for replacement insulation. The 'cloth' wrap is still good.
Kelley Dean

Andiamo #726
Narragansett Bay
Warwick, RI

Steve McGill

Kelley,

I used both an exhaust header wrap much like what is available from these folks on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super-V-1500-Exhaust-Header-Wrap_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ107068QQihZ006QQitemZ160209246223

and an aluminized silver, self adhesive tape from summitracing.com.

I am sure there are many others, but this may give you a few ideas of where to start.

Good Luck,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ron Hill

Steve : I've repaired mine with the metal tape that Kelly described.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Kelley Dean

Steve and Ron-
Do you just use the exhaust wrap by itself? If so, how many wraps would you recommend, 2 -3 wrap layer with a 1/4 inch overlap? I had 1/2 inch fiberglass insulation wrap under the exhaust wrap. Is this needed? I assume the exhaust temperature is less than 1200 degree F. Did you finish with the aluminized silver, self adhesive tape over the exhaust wrap?

Thanks,
Kelley
Kelley Dean

Andiamo #726
Narragansett Bay
Warwick, RI

Ron Hill

Kelley : On my first exhaust riser, Catalina used a metal mesh like you use for plastering or cement.  I guess it acted as a standoff from the stainless tube.  Then the wrap was over that with heavy aluminum and a final wire laced over that aluminum foil. 
Later I see that they just used wrapping with aluminum tape as the outer jacket.
Just make sure that you don't wrap too thick a layer and put pressure on the heat exchanger.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve McGill

Kelley,

I had a new riser built by Catalina this winter. They used a wire mesh on mine (like Ron's) followed by the header wrap, then with the aluminum foil type tape. They completed the wrap with stainless wire. In order for me to properly clear the heat exchanger I compressed the mesh then re-applied my wrap and tape. I completed with stainless wire-ties. Some of this may be over kill since my my previous riser only had the header wrap secured with stainless wires.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD