slow engine

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Had a problem with the engine not reaching full rpms(about 1900).  Fixed it by replacing the engine mounted fuel filter, it looked clean.  This happend last season and I just thought that it was a defective filter.  Now I'm thinking that its a fuel pump problem.  The pump does click so I thought it OK.  Does anyone know the specification for the vacuum of the pump?  This is the M35 engine with the little square pump, can I get this form a Kabota dealer for less?  Anyone know the number.   Or can it be another problem?
I'm out cruising the rest of this week so pardon me if I don't respond.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, when was the last time you changed your primary filter?  Also, if your fuel tank is full the pump isn't doing much.  Your symptoms do not sound like a fuel pump issue.  Have you checked your throttle cable?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Jim,
Could you have extensive growth on the prop?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Jim : The Kubota dealer doesn't deal in any kind of a lift pump, as it isn't use in a tractor.  If you need a fuel pump you can get the NAPA fuel pump #P74029.

However, I agree with Stu that you probably don't need a fuel pump, so check your Racor filter and look for any kinks/crimps in the fuel line.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

sail4dale

Also keep in mind that just because a filter LOOKS clean it can be really dirty.

The eye can only see dirt that is 40 microns or more in size. The primary filter
is if properly sized 15 micron and the secondary can is probably 3 micron. 

It may look very clean but they can be clogged with dirt.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)