MkI - Any Known Cockpit Leak Areas?

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

I realize that this is probably one of those fruitless questions, but I figured I'd tap the board's collective experience anyway.
My 1988 is up on the hard this year while I give her some much needed TLC. but I didn't expect bilgewater to be much of an issue while she's in this state.

We have had some mighty good rainstorms here in the Northern Ches, this summer, and I expect some h2o incursion (mast, a small hole in the transom that's yet to be repaired, etc), but my bilge has been absolutely FILLED to the brim after EACH storm. I don't have a cover on her this summer, but when I did last winter and spring, water wasn't much of an issue in the bilge so my supposition is that the cockpit was covered and therefore that's the source of the leak.

I can't find evidence of water drips or stains of any significance. Short of being aboard during a storm (when I can, I will be!) Does anyone have any experience with large amount of water finding it's way through some known weak point in the MKI cockpit somehow and down into the bilge without leaving evidence behind. 

Mildew abounds so my next post will likely be about solar fan placement...
Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Bubbling by the Bohemia

Steve Eckfield

Lance Jones

Steve,
I too have an 88. Other than around the binacle and the opening ports, I don't know what to tell you. And, these would be evident in your cabin mostly...
Your port and aft lockers may be a source as well. That's my $.02 for what it's worth.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

badams

Sounds like a scupper drain hose is uncoupled or leaking?  Could be a cockpit or a deck drain.

Ron Hill

Guys : Two of the hidden places that water comes in from the cockpit (MK I) - is from under the companion way teak "step" and under the engine instrument panel.  Neither of those two places usually have any caulk on those underside joints!!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

I am a fellow 88 owner who has the same problem in the winter on the hard stand.  I pump out the bilge two or three times a winter.  I have done the cool aid thing without finding the problem.  A friend and I spent six hours one day sticking a hose in very place we could think of to see if water went to the bilge.  No luck.  The bilge doesn't fill like this in the summer when in the water.  I have been on board during heavy rains and some water comes down the mast, but not gallons.  I have sort of come to accept the problem out of frustration at not being able to find the problem.  In the fall I dump a couple gallons of anitfreeze in the bilge. 
we are storing with the mast down for the first time this year.  I hope we see a drier bilge.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

foobie

Thanks gang. All great suggestions which I will investigate!

Steve
Steve Eckfield

Albreen

I found the source of bilge water for my '87 Cat 34 when I first bought the boat was the anchor well hose - a quick repair solved the flow. 
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Lance Jones

Paul,
How did you get to that area to inspect/repair?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Albreen

I lifted the hatch cover(s) under the v-berth cushions to get to the large area in the forward section of the boat - it's easy to see the hose but much harder to work on the thing........it was very loosely connected - the surveyor mentioned it in the pre purchase survey as a potential problem but didn't realize it was actually very loose and leaking water. And, a lot of water it did leak.........not to the floorboards but made for a very full bilge. I can take a look tonight and update the list.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Paulus

I had the same problem on  my 1989.  Water was only a problem in the winter/spring.  During the sailing season on the Great Lakes  we have a dodger and bimini.  Very little water in the summer.  I decided to replace all the hoses on my boat and discovered that the scupper hose on the starboard side had a significant crack in it.  I have not had a water issue for the past 3 years. 
Cool Change 1989 #944