Baja Haha input & securing jerry cans

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Madden

i've signed up for the 2009 baja haha in my 2007 C34 Saint Mary II.  i'm in the process of going through a wide range of maintenance reviews and checks as preparation for the race.  one item i'd appreciate input on is the methods you all have used to carry jerry cans of fuel.  i figure i need to carry 10 five gallon jerry cans to help give me the range i need on the return trip (specifically to get from cabo to turtle bay (i know i can get fuel in mag bay, but would like to avoid the 40 nm detour.)  i believe i can carry five cans on both the starboard and port sides between the midship stanchions.  i plan to attach a starboard poly sheet planks between to stanchions attached with u-bolts.  i plan to then secure the jerry cans to the planks.  i'm also considering place a few padeye's (folding) on my deck near these jerry cans to further secure. 

with that long intro in mind, i'm wondering if anyone has any input for me on securing jerry cans.  i feel i need to have 50 gallons of extra fuel (75 gallons in total), so any input on how to take this much extra fuel is appreciated.

finally, i'd appreciate input from anyone that has done the baja haha in a catalina 34.  i know for sure that several unexpected issues will arise, so any input is appreciated.  there is enough space here for me to list out all my prep, but i know i can benefit from all input.

in advance, thanks much.

tom madden

Ken Heyman

You may want to contact and follow the posts of "Blackdragon" currently on his way to Mexico form Vancouver. I would imagine he is carrying jerry cans of fuel. 

Good luck!

http://sailblogs.com/member/blackdragon/
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Tom and I have had an offline chat about using his swim platform and also going to Mag Bay first.  I'll get him in touch with Steve since they'll meet anyway down there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Tom and I are exchaning emails.  For the record, here's the approach to extra fuel on Blackdragon:

"You've actually put a lot more thought into diesel than I have.    We burn .405 gph.   Our tank is 23 gals (I assume 20 with some reserve).   I carry two 5.3 gal jerry cans.   So 30 gals gives me about 74 hours at 5 knots (we easily motor at 6+ knots but 5 is a better planning number) - a range of 370 miles.   

370 miles covers anything I need on the way down and I'm not sure if I'm coming back up...   

I store the jerry cans in my aft lazerette, down low and protected from the seas.   I really prefer not to have more diesel cans cluttering the side decks.    Your layout with the swim grid and open cockpit sounds like a good approach over the decks."
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stephen Butler

We carry two 5 gallon plastic jerry cans.  Tried putting them on deck, but stressed the lifeline stanchions and removed them.  Then got a quote for a stainless holder secured to the deck and decided to just keep them in a cockpit locker.  The real challenge for us is keeping the gasoline for the Honda generator, in a safe place. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023