Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ed Shankle

Bob,
I've been using the PAR mini hand pump for a few years with great success. If you have a drain hose attached to your oil pan, just work out the correct fittings and attach to the PAR.
I used to attach a section of garden hose to the pan drain house and let it gravity drain into a jug set in the bilge, but the pump is obviously faster. I believe using the PAR was a recommendation by Ron in a couple of posts some time back.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Bob K

Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ted Pounds

Bob K,
I use a vacuum pump similar to the one Joe linked to.  It works very well  :thumb:.  Very simple and reliable.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mark,

Is there a gasket on the dip stick tube where it mounts to the oil pan and if so did you have to replace it?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike

Dave Sanner expanded on his oil pan removal techniques here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3433.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Elkin

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on February 12, 2008, 02:05:19 PM
Is there a gasket on the dip stick tube where it mounts to the oil pan and if so did you have to replace it?

Yes, there is a gasket.  And no, I did not replace it.  When I removed the dip stick tube, the gasket came off the oil pan cleanly and stayed well stuck to the tube end plate.  When I was ready to put it all back together, it was a holiday weekend and all the shops were closed.  :cry4` So, being the impatient person I become when a project is almost finished, I just elected to put a little gasket goop on the existing gasket (still stuck to the tube).  I've been monitoring my oil pan for leaks and none are showing, including the dip stick tube mounting.

So, I'd say that if that gasket is in good shape, go ahead and reuse it.  That's something I'd never say, though, about the main oil pan gasket.

BTW Mike.  I note that you're in San Diego.  Both "A - Z Marine" and "Admiralty Marine" have Universal Motors parts, including all the gaskets you never wish for.  I prefer "A-Z" but have no strong preferences either way.
Mark S Elkin

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mark, Yes, I'm very Familiar with A-Z Marine and they are always helpful in trying to figure out what I need and I think I'll get one of those gaskets just in case.
As far as the hose, that whole hose assembly kit runs in the neighborhood of $100. plus another $30. for the drainplug adaptor.

WM sells a permanently mounted 12V oil change pump for about the same price that I'm thinking about that comes with the hose.

Or I could just reuse the plug that I have and pump it out the dipstick tube then drain the last pint out of the drain plug.

How many people do think do you think I would need to have standing on the bow to tilt the boat far enough forward to drain those last few ounces of oil in the rear of the pan?   :D

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu, is this from personal experience?

And how much rum would each of those 34 need to consume  before boarding the submarine?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

With that weight on the bow, the C34 would BECOME a submarine. :D