Using Gererator

Previous topic - Next topic

himarks

I'm thinking of buying a Honda generator for the boat.  Can anyone tell  me of there experiences using a small generator? Will a 2000W unit heat the water tank? How long dose it take to get hot water?
Thanks
himarks

Ray & Sandy Erps

Using a Honda Generator has been discussed quite a bit on the C-42 Website.  Looks like a pretty popular way to get that extra power without all the complication of the other paraphernalia.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Stu Jackson

himarks

What is your hull # and year?

A search on generator here will bring you lots of discussions.  Hal Devera, who recently left the group, has provided us with lots of good advice as have many others.  We also don't know what systems you may, or may not, already have on your boat.  For instance, Hal's post about current limiting with a generator is very helpful, only if you have a Link! 

If you don't see what you're looking for here after your search, specifically, or if you've done one already, please let us know.  Ray's direction to C42 is worthwhile, and I suggest you look at the C36 website, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

him : We had numerous discussions on the use of a small Honda type generator on this message board -- MANY posts.
In summary, a Honda 1KW will charge the batteries, is quiet and fits in the port cockpit locker. 
Most of us plug our Honda's into the shore power outlet on the boat.  The larger gen sets cost more, burn more fuel and make more noise.    :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

I purchased a Honda 1000 last summer for use on a cruise to Desolation Sound.  It kept my batteries up very well (4 years old) and was very quiet.  Only had to rune it for about an hour each time.  Plugged it in to the shore power to keep things simple.  Did not try to power anything else with it as we didn't need to.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

himarks

:sleepy:
Sorry for the laps in reply.
I have Hull #1725, 2005.