Main Sail Storage

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Rose

My boat has the in-mast roller furling main.  I was wondering if the sail was just rolled up in the mast for the winter would that present a problem for the sail?  With no sail installed on the aluminum foil it will bang inside the mast with the wind.  I have tried different position with the mechanism but it slapped inside all last winter.  With the main completely rolled tight, there is little exposure to the sail and no banging.  She is stored in Gloucester, MA.

Momentum M

For us where Winter is comming....we have to haul out.  If you have an in-mast furling...once the main sail is removed you'll get lots of banging/noise from the left behind shaft (inside the now bare mast). 
First I don't recommend leaving the sail in for many reasons but here's a few that comes to mind:
1.:  I've heard that the UV pad that stay exposed to the elements will get the tread burned by the sun and in 5 yrs or so you'll need to get restitched.
2.:  It's good time to inspect your sail and clean it.
3.:  The sail would certainly "remember" the tight coil that it's been for maybee 6 mo.
4.:  It certainly doesn't harm to release the tension.

Now I've removed my sails on the w-e and haul out is Friday.  I guess that within 5 min. I was going crazy with the banging and before I would go nut or get complaint from my fellow boaters I decide to find a way to kill that noise:

Last year I managed to do a half fast job and once on hard ...only on very windy days you could hear the banging.

This time I took the mains sail halyard that was now free and I wrapped it to the culprit. 
I took the halyard and at the opening at the base of the mast (just above the "screw"- in/out hauling) there enough space to go around that shaft with your fingers and sheet.    I must have put some 20/30 wrap and at every few turns I would pull on both end (one end that was attached to the main and the other one coming out of the side of the mast) and I alternately pulled on one end at the time.  It was a see/saw motion and by doing so the wraps would go up the mast...all the way to the top. 
Now I have a "cushion" that prevent that banging...buy cushioning the shaft.

I'm sure that there's other way but since it's my second seasons with the in-mast...I came up with this solution.

If any of you come up with something else..let us know.

Regards
Serge
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May