Port Aft Access

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cotterill

Hi

I have a 1993 Mark I (hull #1257) and need to get access to to the port aft side behind the port lazarette.

The port lazarette contains the propane locker.

Can the propane locker be removed?

Or can I get access behind the engine instrument panel?

John C
John Cotterill
Catalina 34 Mark 1 Number 1257
"Catatonic"
Located : Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Australia

Ken Juul

The propane locker comes out without too much difficulty.  Remove the vent lines and remove the hold down screws.  I don't remember it being an issue when I upgraded a few years ago to accommodate the larger OPD bottle.  The instrument panel is also easy to remove, remove the Plexiglas cover, unscrew the "t" handle, take out the screws that hold it in place.  I have just removed the instrument panel.  The frame that it is mounted in I think was installed with 5200, I tried to remove it, but feared I would break it so figured out how to work through the smaller opening.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

REMEMBER  ... if you use the engine instrument panel for your access. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREWS when you replace the Plexiglas cover.  It will surely break in the corners.  It is just a cover, no need to torque down tight.    :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Our engine control panel (the silver piece) is held on by machine screws with nuts in the back.  Our panel assembly, the white rimmed piece, is also held in by heavy sealant of some sort.  So, as a caution, be careful when removing the silver panel, because the nuts could fall off the screws.  On another C34 I worked on a few years ago, the owner cracked the seal on the white rim and added self tapping screws to hold the white piece in for easier access, although the water tightness was compromised.  I remember when we had to replace our voltmeter that I had to get down below to work the nuts off the screws to get access to the silver panel for removal.  I understand your question was getting in there, but see if you can check with a mirror to find out what's holding the parts together before you start to remove things.  ONly other way I know to get access back there is to remove the wood panel in the aft cabin that encloses the fuel tank.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."