Rub rails in a blow

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

We had a rough Lake Michigan crossing this summer. Winds hit mid-40s with a gust to 52 as a front came through. It was not our favorite sail of the summer. Rubber from the rub rails was out of the channels and drooping by the time we got home. Both sides near the companionway. It snapped back in easily. No problem since.

Does the hull on my '91 tall rig flex that much? Or is the rubber just old and in need of replacement?

Ron Hill

Mark : You need to replace your rub rail!!  Call Catalina and order 75' and see what colors they have in stock - suspect they may only have gray.  

You can always pop it back in and See if it stays.

The vinyl rub rail just doesn't FALL out because of wind and waves.  I'll guess that the previous owner popped it out and then made the mistake of pushing it in to the rear and cutting off the extra!!  That makes it thinner because of stretching and it's now too thin to stay in the aluminum holder.  

If you ever pop it out be sure to push it back in in the opposite direction so it doesn't stretch.  

There are numerous posts on this message board on the "How To" of replacing the rub rail.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Mark,

I had exactly the same thing happen many years ago on my 1988.  I simply put it back in and it has stayed put since.  You may want to try that first before buying new ones.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B