Reassembly of Cooling System

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Hi all,

I'm about to start reassembling my cooling system with a new pump and new hoses. I have a couple of questions.

When screwing in the old hose elbow joints to the new pump I plan to use just PTFE tape. Should I also use a thread lock solution?

When attaching new hoses is it best to grease the nipples with silicone or vaseline or some such, or should I just push them on dry?

Many thanks
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

scgunner

Graham,

When it comes to the elbow joints I'd use one or the other but not both, I prefer the tape. When it comes to coolant hoses I just push them on dry and never had a problem on boat or car, clean surfaces of course.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhen it comes to the elbow joints I'd use one or the other but not both, I prefer the tape. When it comes to coolant hoses I just push them on dry and never had a problem on boat or car, clean surfaces of course.

That's just what I do.  If the hose/barb is a little tight, I may use some water to help it slide/rotate until in place.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

1. Hose barbs are tapered thread. You don't use thread lock on pipe joints, besides thread lock (super glue) would be useless against a teflon surface (ptfe tape). Use teflon tape or pipe dope or actually plumbers sometimes use both when it's a difficult thread under pressure, but you don't need both for this.

2. Don't use a petroleum-based product.  Use ptfe - like SuperLube Gel (which is a required staple on every vessel.)
Or Lanakote or similar slippery gel.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KeelsonGraham

Stu Jackson

No need for thread lock, the hoses keep the elbows in place anyway.

I use Lanocote on the inside of all my hose connections.

Sorry late to the party.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Keel : I would use pipe dope on the metal tapered threads. Screw them in dry and see where the end points to where you want it while counting the turns. Then use the pipe dope and screw on the elbow till it is tight and where you want it pointed!!

On the hoses just put a few drops of "Dawn" dishwashing soap on the male fitting and the hoses should slip right on.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the tip about pipe dope. What was what was concerning me, was how to get a leak-proof fit with the bronze elbows pointing in the right direction.