Rebedding outboard genoa track

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

Has anyone rebedded the outboard genoa track on a Mkii?  Words of advice? This looks to be a challenging project as that track on the port side runs from inside the locker, through the head and behind the electrical panel as well.

I had water coming out from under the Corian counter above the toilet paper door after sailing last week.  I've pulled the mirror cabinet off and it does look like the a number of the nuts behind the hull liner flange have leaked.  I assume those bolts go up through the genoa track.

Looking up at the nuts, it looks like they are pushed tight against the hull liner flange, so I couldn't get a socket on them. I could maybe get a pair of vice gripes on them and back the bolts out from the top.

The track sits on top of a hump that runs all along the gunnel. Does anyone know what is inside that hump? Is it a wood block? Hollow? Filled with epoxy?

Thanks
Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Noah

I don't know the specifics on the MKll (as  have a MKl. However I have experience with leaking deck bolts. I would suggest you start lubing the nuts with penetrating oil days/weeks ahead of time to make it easier, or even possible to remove them. I had three acorn nuts on my chainplates that were totally frozen and I had to use a nut splitter to remove them. They were only minimally leaking but still frozen solid.

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Rob : To answer your question - "The track sits on top of a hump that runs all along the gunnel. Does anyone know what is inside that hump? Is it a wood block? Hollow? Filled with epoxy?"

I'd call Warren Tandy (Catalina Yachts) @ (727) 544-6681.  I believe that He will be able to answer your question!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788