outside wood trim replace or delete

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

Now that the weather is starting to warm up I have been able to make it out to the boat for the last two weekends. Each time I go I end up adding to the list that I posted a while ago. last trip I was looking at some of the wood trim on the outside of the boat. I'm not sure if all 34's have the small 3/4 half round trim on the cabin, mine does but it would have to be replaced. so my question is has anyone ever taken that trim off and did you replace it or what would it take to just leave it off?
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Noah

Search the word "EYEBROW" on this website. Many comments/solutions.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Mine was broken by a previous owner.  Despite the challenge of maintaining it, I prefer the way it looks with it on there rather than off.  I am considering going to plasti-teak.  The company uses your existing piece to make a replacement out of their plastic part.  A good friend has his toe rails on his Jeanneau done with this stuff.  The toe rail matches up with the cleat chocks and the product looks great installed.  It doesn't look as rich and lovely as a yacht grade varnish job, but it sure does looks tidy ALL the time without ANY maintenance.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

Quote from: Noah on April 29, 2023, 05:50:45 PM
Search the word "EYEBROW" on this website. Many comments/solutions.
I tried all kinds of searches for this one, I don't think I ever would have guessed eyebrow thank you
Dan

Ron Hill

Dan : I took my "eyebrow" teak OFF years ago and gave it away - tired of trying to keep it nice looking. Filled the holes with #4 screws and finishing washers. 
If you decide to put some "eyebrows" back on just make sure it is plastic fake look a like teak or you are just creating some more maintenance for yourself!!

My thoughts!!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Dan, when I bought my boat the teak eyebrows were missing. I decided to go with SST #4 ovalhead screws 1/2" long and finish washers.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

Have you looked into having new ones made.  I replaced mine in 2009.  Bought a piece teak 1"x2" x14' 6" and had a milling shop make me new ones.  Used the old as pattern but made the new ones a little wider and thicker to make up for all the years of sanding.
Just a thought.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

melp64

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 30, 2023, 03:11:08 PM
Dan : I took my "eyebrow" teak OFF years ago and gave it away - tired of trying to keep it nice looking. Filled the holes with #4 screws and finishing washers. 
If you decide to put some "eyebrows" back on just make sure it is plastic fake look a like teak or you are just creating some more maintenance for yourself!!

My thoughts!!  :thumb:

you removed the eyebrows and then just took a screw with a finish washer and caulked it? I like this Idea as the eyebrows I have are so weather checked and grained I don't think they are salvageable. 
Dan

Jon W

Yes, and it will look like the photo I posted.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Phil Spicer

Many years ago l changed my teak to plastic lumber, the same product as " plasteak". Works wonderfully. Have all the parts cut to replace the eyebrows, just haven't gotten to that job. I'll try to use the same holes that fastened the teak.
(good luck with that)
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Dan : Just use a dab of clear silicone caulk and screw in either a flat or oval head #4 stainless screw and use a ss finishing washer!!  I've NEVER regretted it!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'll try to use the same holes that fastened the teak.

Phil,
I've never owned a wood boat so I've never done this myself.  But, I've watched wood planks replaced using the original screw holes in the frame.  They only used a compass.  Using the screw hole as a center a few arcs were scribed with the compass (don't change the setting), the plank (trim) is put in place, without changing the compass setting, do a couple of marks from the scribed arcs to the center.  X marks the spot.  That is over where the original screw hole is.
Wooden boat building was quite the art.  Developed over many centuries.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Drill new holes. It doesn't matter if you fill the old ones and then cover them with new trim. The cabin sides are solid fiberglass, so no worries about leaking core. Just don't drill all the way through 😂.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

derekb

Quote from: Noah on May 02, 2023, 03:25:03 PM
The cabin sides are solid fiberglass, so no worries about leaking core. Just don't drill all the way through 😂.

Noah, the cabin sides on my boat have balsa core (visible when I removed the port-lights to replace them), so I think one should consider filling the old holes if you drill new ones.

Regards,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Phil Spicer

Years ago I removed the core of all the holes, filled with epoxy and redrilled (as Main Sail teaches). Now " the plan" is to use the old eyebrows as a template to drill the holes in the plastic lumber. Will try a few holes and if it doesn't work I'll just epoxy the old holes and make all new.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.