how do i get the plastic off for "https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11504.0.ht

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

That's good.

When you replace it be sure to:
   - Hold the shaft IN with a screwdriver or punch and pull the impeller w/a needle nose.
   - Lube the shaft/brass hub of the impeller to help them from bonding together.
   - Lube the inside of the pump (easier than handling a slippery impeller) 
   - Remove hoses and lube the hose barb elbows so it's easy to service hoses if needed.
Owners have  different favorite flavors of lube but I use SuperLube gel (available most good hardwares and Horror Fright.)

The pump's oil and water ("lip") seals ate wear items and owner serviceable; the carbon bearing is lesser of a a wear item and not user serviceable.  The shaft is not a wear item but can become scored either at the carbon bearing or at either/both of the lip seals (and is owner replaceable.)

So (imo) at least a good owner inspection is in order if there are substantial hours on it, just for peace of mind.

You CAN pull the entire impeller/shaft if you want to inspect the shaft for wear but it must be carefully reinserted.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Beckie : Before you start screwing around with the "maybe" replacing the impeller - unscrew that strainer (counterclockwise) and see if the weeds have clogged the thru hull intake!!

Changing the impeller is simple if it's an Oberdoffer.  Take off the face plate and pull out the impeller and shaft.  Use your fingernail to check if the lip seal has worn a grove in the stainless shaft.  If so replace the impeller and the shaft. 

But first determine if you are getting water thru the Thru Hull !!  Plenty of time to screw around with the raw water pump later!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

Ron, i will try tomorrow when I'm there, either using channel locks with a wash cloth or an oil filter wrench if i have it there.  thanks!
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

beckie : Go by a hardware store and invest a few bucks (About $5) and buy a strap wrench.  Using a channel lock you could crack that plastic bowl!!  Ask the store how to use a strap wrench, I' sure they'd be happy to show you!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

thanks, i will but that looks like an oil filter wrench which i may or may not already have on board.  i'll see

anaisdog

mystery solved.  i have an m25 engine (thank you again Ken for the very explicit posting of letters and numbers of everything) with a Sherwood m5 pump.  the impeller shattered.  I pulled all of it out and ran water backwards through it so any remaining hopefully got flushed out the front.  and i did need one of those strap soft wrenches to get the plastic cover off the fresh water intake.  so now i just wait for the new impeller (and the spare) so i can put it back on.  i hope it was just that.  thanks for all the assistance here.   my mechanic is really gun ho that women should learn how to take care of their boats and i agree!

Jim Hardesty

Quotemy mechanic is really gun ho that women should learn how to take care of their boats and i agree!

I believe everyone that sails should know and have tools and spares to get back or to safety for most common failures.  Possibly we could start a list.  Here's some starters,

Change impeller and clear raw water intake.

Change alternator belt.

Change fuel filters.

Bleed fuel system.

Check and add oil and engine coolant.

I think all the information is already here.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Change impeller and clear raw water intake.

Change alternator belt.

Change fuel filters.

Bleed fuel system.

Check and add oil and engine coolant.

I think all the information is already here.
Jim

Clear obstructions (grass/weeds, impeller pieces) from the heat exchanger, and annually inspect it.

Remove a malfunctioning (stuck closed) thermostat.

Replace (or bypass with another pump) a dead diesel lift pump.

Bleed the diesel fuel system.

Diagnose malfunctioning fuel level/temp/oil gauges/alarms.
-kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

becki

Groovy.  Do you have a pic of the M-5 on your engine?

Be aware that pieces of impeller can end up in and block the heat exchanger and you'd know that only by removing the starboard side cap on it (if you haven't already.)

If you're game to get your hands dirty with maintenance, we're here to teach and provide the Go-Jo to clean up.

anaisdog

anaisdog

and yeah, thanks Ken, I'm fine getting my hands dirty. I did all the work on my 66 mustang, i was just intimidated by my ex husband insulting me about working on the boat but now he's gone so i'm good with doing what i need. and getting ready to single hand even without an autopilot.

KWKloeber

Ok, thx.  I just don't have in my library pictures of an M-5 installed on a Universal engine.  I have the original engineering drawings but not pics.

Nobody intimidates a gal from Detroit! :shock:

anaisdog

the wariness of the divorce is wearing off and i'm not so scared of my own shadow.  I'll take lots of pics of send them to you, you pick what you want.  i should be there thursday of this week

Ron Hill

Beckie : On the missing blades - try to account for each missing blade.  First look in the outlet elbow on the pump and then (if necessary) like Ken mentioned take off the starboard side end cap on the HE and look in there!!

Good for you in getting "Dirty hands" acquainted with your engine!!  Between the Mainsheet Tech notes (36 years worth) and WiKi on this board you'll find the solutions for just about all of your problems!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog