Sourcing a Damper Plate

Previous topic - Next topic

kable

There is so much great info on this board but the prices in the posts from 10+ years ago kill me compared to today.  I guess this inflation is real. :(
This is going to be the first of many transmission related posts...

I am going to be replacing my transmission so I need to purchase a new damper plate for my M-25XP
I really haven't found any good deals out there, anyone have some info?

Looking at Catalina Direct, I was surprised to see the aftermarket part more expensive than the OEM.  What would be the difference?
OEM - $430 https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/engine/damper-plate-oem-5411-m-12-m2-12-m-18-m-320-m-25-m-25xp/
After Market - $560 https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/engine/damper-plate-aftermarket-5411-m-12-m2-12-m-18-m-320-m-25-m-25xp/

1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

KWKloeber

Is your plate 121mm or 122mm?  A few C30 folks with M-25/XPs had an issue getting the correct size.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Fitch

Kable -

I have the M35 engine.  When I pulled the transmission, I could clearly read the Sachs part number on the plate 1866-052-001.  I replaced it in 2018 and I think I paid less than $130 for it.  They seem to be going for $150 now.  I don't want to know what Westerbeke charges for the same part.  It might be a different plate on the M25 and maybe someone can tell you the part number so you don't have to pull the transmission 1st.

Jim

KWKloeber

I asked an owner who replaced his and the Sachs worked perfectly on his XP.
Suggest you confirm the current/new diameter before you purchase.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Fitch on July 07, 2022, 06:52:14 AM

maybe someone can tell you the part number so you don't have to pull the transmission 1st.

The 35 reportedly takes a 6" plate.

The Sachs plate our C30 owner used was 1866-050-02 BUT there was a difficulty getting a 121mm plate (eventually sourced from CD) because the others were 122mm and did not fit.

Jim Fitch

Can anyone identify the correct Sachs part number for Kable's Universal M25XP?

kable

@KWKloeber - I haven't pulled the transmission yet so I can't answer your question.
My brother-in-law is going to be helping me w/ everything and he is hours away.  I was hoping to order everything and just have everything ready.

I would have assumed the 2 items from CatalinaDirect would have worked but I had just heard they were more expensive and there are other options that people have used.  Are you suggesting I should measure, even if I order from CD?

@Jim - thanks, so it sounds like I am looking for Sachs for my M25XP.  If someone has a part number that would be great!  But at least I have some more keywords for googling around.
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

kable

It looks like the likely Sachs part number is 1866-050-002/3306316001 (as KWKloeber stated and from this post)
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/replacing-damper-plate-on-a-universal-m25-at-anchor-222965.html
But it still seems to be about the same price as CatalinaDirect $450.

Also, still a concern on the size.
The CD part says 121mm
The Sachs part says 122mm

So the cost being the same, I guess I should just go w/ CD.

I wonder what the difference is between CD's OEM and aftermarket?

What about PYI?  I have seen this quote but no links/data to help me.
"PYI has a superior damper plate for Universal then the stock one"

I see this from ASAP Supplies in the UK.  Specs are SO close and much cheaper (VAT/shipping etc)
So is .5mm going to matter?
https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/spring-drive-plate-for-zf-hurth-10-teeth-spline-121-5mm-diameter-df254750

Just don't understand why I am seeing success posts w/ Sachs and the same engine...

KWKloeber

The C30 friend who ordered the CD plate says it WAS a Sachs 050-002 and it WAS 121mm and that the 122 that he bought DID not fit.  My distributor (who used to be a Univ/Wb stocking distributor and who also services H/ZFs) says that the 050-002 plate IS 122 mm and also IS THE replacement for the H/ZFs on the M-25s / XPs. 

This is like a bad Twilight Zone episode.

I asked the C30 friend for more info, we'll see....

kable

Anyone know where I can find the torque specs for the damper plate bolts?

Edit:
Ended up using the parts manual to determine what exact bolt was being used on the damper plates.  Then based on that I could read the quality? number on the bolt.  With both of those pieces of information I was able to look it up in standard google searches.