Panel AC indicator lights

Previous topic - Next topic

TortolaTim

I was reading up on reverse polarity and AC power issues here and realized that neither of my AC panel lights have been working (at least the green "available" light doesn't, polarity checks good at the dock and on board). The PO had the green one disconnected, so I wired it up yesterday, and re-wired the red RP light with proper connectors. Before I order new lamps from Blue Sea, does it matter which lead is attached to neutral or hot/ neutral or ground? Both wires are the same, and I just guessed. I'll probable go out and test them both with DC just to make sure, but I'm inclined to think they are burned out. I also wired up the yellow "DC available" lamp and it is toast. 1989 boat.

Secondly, I only have the "in panel" 30A double pole breaker, and want to install the breaker at the shore power inlet per ABYC code. Any recommendations on a reasonable product for this? I was looking at the Blue Sea ELCI breaker with the waterproof box and it's like $800 bucks! What is everybody else doing?
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Ron Hill

Tim : My 1988 C34 A/C panel did not come with a AC green shore power ON light!!  So what I did was to wire in a RadioShack 110 AC (neon) light into the OUTLET circuit breaker. and leave that breaker IN.  So when shore power is switched ON it shows up on the outlet circuit light!!  I did the same for the water heater - so when it is ON the added light glows (too difficult to see that the breaker is pushed IN)

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Tim

If you're using a glow-neon or incandescent bulbs then it doesn't matter the polarity of the leads (AC or DC bulbs.)
LEDs are sensitive to polarity.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmjohns

I just happen to be browsing Catalina Direct and notice they sell the 30amp main breaker.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/electrical/breakers-switches/electrical-panel-transom-master-breaker/

They don't use ELCI breaker that I can tell and they don't say if it's single or double pole, but it looks like what is in my Mkii
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

KWKloeber

Quote from: rmjohns on February 17, 2022, 05:37:48 AM

I just happen to be browsing Catalina Direct and notice they sell the 30amp main breaker.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/electrical/breakers-switches/electrical-panel-transom-master-breaker/

They don't use ELCI breaker that I can tell and they don't say if it's single or double pole, but it looks like what is in my Mkii

Earlier C30s had a single toggle main on the panel, which would outwardly appear to be a single pole breaker but was actually double pole. I'd suspect that this breaker is of that type.  When I replaced mine I used a double-toggle breaker simply because that was the easiest to put my hands on at the time.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain