fuel pump specs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Ken & Guys : I don't know o ANY M25XPA engines install by Catalina in C34s!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Catalina007

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 01, 2020, 06:22:30 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on November 29, 2020, 02:40:07 PM

I believe that the M35BC engines only come with the square pump?? like the M25XPB engines do!!

Ron, some early engines with the convoluted oil pressure system had the cylinder pumps - they would have all been the "A" engines (eg, 35A, XPA) that were produced after JHW bought Oshkosh.  All the "B"s have cubes.  Whether any of the "A"s that have a cylinder pump made it into 34s - I dunno.

What I don't know is if the cubes that Wb used had/have the positive shut off valve??? (It would make sense using those w/ the low oil pressure shut off.). When shut off will your cube siphon fuel?

On the Facet pump screw in fittings -  Ive seen every opinion and still don't know.  Should the brass screw in fittings have sealant and if so what type?  PFTE tape? Loctite 243? Plumbers putty? 

Ron Hill

Cat007 : I like to use #2 Non hardening Permitex on the treads as a "just in case).

I believe that the brass fittings are a tapered pipe thread.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 02, 2020, 03:34:05 PM
Ken & Guys : I don't know o ANY M25XPA engines install by Catalina in C34s!!!

A thought

Ron it doesn't matter. It was a generic statement and applies to ANY "A" or "B" engine of ANY size - 25, 35, etc, in ANY boat ( read elsewhere that there are C30 folks listening in, so this all additional applies to them.)

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

The barbs are NPT threads, so you need to use s thread sealant. Your choice, PTFE, pipe dope, etc, so long as what you use is fuel compatible. "Y threads, YC.

NOt plumbers putty (which is not thread sealant, it's for setting fixtures and drain baskets.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Craig Illman

Ron - I'm pretty sure my hull #1150 had the ice blue M25XPA installed. Wish it would have had a M35***

Craig

Ron Hill

Craig : That could well be because your #1150 hull was near the end of the C34 Mk I production.  As I said before, if Catalina ran out of their "stock" Medalist M25XP (Oshkosh) engines they install - "what ever"!?!   Anything to keep the production line moving!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Hey Craig

Long time no see.  Does your "25" have the convoluted oil pressure switch/fuel pump shutoff wiring?

Craig Illman

Ken - I've been boatless for two years now. No, the M25XP* in my C34 didn't have the convoluted fuel pump oil pressure switch wiring.

Craig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Craig Illman on December 05, 2020, 05:36:16 AM
Ken - I've been boatless for two years now. No, the M25XP* in my C34 didn't have the convoluted fuel pump oil pressure switch wiring.

Ok, that was one of the changes Westerbeke made after it bought Oshkosh and (to mimic how it wired its "W" engines) introduced the A engines.
- relocated oil pressure switch off the block, to an accessible bracket.
- a tee on the bracket to accommodate an oil pressure gauge sender (an option on Westerbeke panels.)
- added the preheat solenoid needed for the convoluted fuel pump wiring.
- added a circuit breaker to cockpit panel feed.
- did I miss any, Ron?

So unless a PO ripped out the convolusion I'd guess it wasn't an A series (there's XPs in C30s that are ice blue.) Just a guess that after the purchase Wb changed to blue on Kb engines had on hand or received in before deciding to make the A changes.

Ron Hill

Ken & Guys : You hit all the points.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if West-bek didn't take Oshkosh new engine blocks that were partially built up and just spray them with their paint.

Like I mentioned, Catalina kept the production line moving and installed "whatever" was needed to keep it moving.  That not only meant engines, but all of the other sub systems - fresh water pumps, running lights, anchor light - just to mention a few.  That's why when C34 owners ask "what size bulb" their fixture may be the "one of a kind"!?!  OR Frank got a better price from another contractor!!!

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788