Anchor fit

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 03, 2020, 02:31:20 PM
Guys : Don't forget that if you have a windlass, that the gypsy dictates the size of the chain!!! 
OP has no gypsy, only a capstan. And gypsy conversion is not available.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

pbyrne

I admit, I'm uncertain about the swivel.  I don't anchor anywhere the boat will rotate around the anchor.  It's a river with a constant current.

That being said, my hesitation is what I've read, and that there are people in the St Lawrence that I spoke to that don't use a swivel either.  Probably because it's not tidal, and current again.

I supposed connecting the swivel via some chain to the anchor shackle, and the other end to the chain would resolve the side loading I've read about...

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 13, 2020, 03:36:42 PM
pby : The first time the anchor resets because of a twisted chain, think about a swivel!

A thought
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

pbyrne

Funny you should bring that up.  I'd like to go full chain if I can.  Seems like that's the simplest way to make the best use of the windlass. 

Is there a replacement for the windlass available?

Quote from: Breakin Away on August 13, 2020, 08:08:28 PM
Quote from: Ron Hill on August 03, 2020, 02:31:20 PM
Guys : Don't forget that if you have a windlass, that the gypsy dictates the size of the chain!!! 
OP has no gypsy, only a capstan. And gypsy conversion is not available.

pbyrne

For anyone interested, here's how it looks and fits on a MKII.

Ron Hill

pby : Look Great - a prefect fit!!  I have a Bruce and I've found that you need a shock cord from the front of the anchor to something inside the anchor well to keep the anchor tight.  With out that shock cord the anchor will wobble around in the bow roller.

The only reason that I mention a swivel is because chain twists.  I cruise in the Chesapeake where the tide and wind will turn the boat 180 degrees maybe a couple of times!!  Every spring on the hard, I even pay out my 50 ft of chain to make sure there are no twists (even though I have a swivel) and then haul it all back into the anchor well!! 
When anchoring I usually pay out the 50' chain and then 10-15 ft of nylon just to give a better ride on anchor!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I recommend never using shock cord to retain your anchor.  I almost lost my new Rocna years ago outside the Golden Gate 'cuz a bouncy ride strained it beyond its capacity, and it was thick shock cord.  I put a Johnson cleat on the pulpit lower rail and lasso the hoop of the Rocna to it with 3/8" line.  Hasn't budged in decades now.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on August 19, 2020, 01:44:25 PM
I admit, I'm uncertain about the swivel.  I don't anchor anywhere the boat will rotate around the anchor.  It's a river with a constant current.

That being said, my hesitation is what I've read, and that there are people in the St Lawrence that I spoke to that don't use a swivel either.  Probably because it's not tidal, and current again.

I supposed connecting the swivel via some chain to the anchor shackle, and the other end to the chain would resolve the side loading I've read about...

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 13, 2020, 03:36:42 PM
pby : The first time the anchor resets because of a twisted chain, think about a swivel!

A thought

The nonsense about swivels makes my head swivel.

They are simply extra places for failure.

There is ample discussion about this on many forums.  Most of us don't anchor for that long in the same place for it to be an issue, as it would be for a permanent mooring.

Our own 101 Topics has one that gets into it, where Maine Sail suggests that they are not necessary.

Gee, Maine Sail.  Who would know...???

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30400.html#msg30400

I have been anchoring in reversing currents for the past 23 years with this boat and 18 years before with other smaller Catalinas.  I think swivels are bull pucky.  Completely.

Just my opinion, of course.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : As Stu pointed out, I do not want anyone to think that a shock cord is a way to secure your anchor in the bow roller.
I screwed into the inside of the anchor well, a bracket that has a hole on either for a pin.  You put a chain link in the center and then put the pin thru the side holes with the pin going thru each side and the link in the center.  That secures the anchor and chain.

The shock cord I'm talking about - is that the anchor can still wiggle around in the bow roller and wear the roller itself.  The shock cord stops that wiggling!!  It attaches to the front of the anchor and I secure the stretched other end in the anchor well.  Works Great !!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788