water in bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

becki they aren't displaying on the website and when I download/view them I get a "damaged file" error.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Becki
The black hose (w/a check valve on it) is for your bilge pump discharge and the used-to-be white hose is for the emergency bilge pump (as Ron had described.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

hmm, they were too big to upload and then when i used apple->previewer, they were renamed as .heic so i thought i could just rename them.  i'll try gimp. thanks for telling me.

btw, i drained the bilge last tuesday with a turkey baster and checked back on saturday.  there was no new water, or not significant enough to notice so i don't think it's the keel bolts, but i'll tighten them anyway when she's out, and it can't be the water tank since it's empty.
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

is water in the bilge bad, seeing what is in there?  or no?  i seem to get different answers like everything else with boat ownership. and thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Jim Hardesty

Quoteis water in the bilge bad, seeing what is in there?  or no?  i seem to get different answers like everything else with boat ownership.

A little bilge water isn't bad, but it should be clean water.   I do think it's important to know where the water is coming from and to monitor it.  Any unexpected water needs to be tracked down.  My bilge is generally dry, I get a coffee can of clean bilge water every other week.
That's good for me.  Others may be happy with more or less.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

Most times you get different answers is because the question is either to general or because people have different levels of risk they are willing to take. I try to keep mine dry.

"is water in the bilge OK?" is pretty general. Standing water is not a good idea at home or on a boat. Bugs grow in it, it facilitates corrosion, and in the case of salt water it will stink. If you know where the water is coming from, and it's normal (like the packing gland), then it isn't a problem except for being standing water. I'm sure there's other opinions out there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

HEIC is apple's proprietary space-saving image file format, which is compatible with nothing in the real world. It's best to turn OFF that option in your settings. The space saved isn't worth the complications, and I don't believe the forum recognizes it.

There's a few free image resizing apps that work well if you need to reduce size.

britinusa

We found that some rain water was coming down the inside of the mast and the most like cause was a line entry/exit plate about 6' down from the top of the mast.

We don't use that line (not sure what it's for) so I covered the plate with a piece of Flex tape.

The pic shows the type of plate. On our mast, the plate is inverted so that it's opening faces upwards (ie. rain catcher)

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Whereabouts on the mast?  Side of leading edge?

britinusa

On the front of the mast!
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Pole lift with the exit installed upside down?  Nah too high for that.
Internal spin halyard exit?

fatamorgana

Quote from: britinusa on October 29, 2019, 08:59:08 AM
We found that some rain water was coming down the inside of the mast and the most like cause was a line entry/exit plate about 6' down from the top of the mast.

We don't use that line (not sure what it's for) so I covered the plate with a piece of Flex tape.

The pic shows the type of plate. On our mast, the plate is inverted so that it's opening faces upwards (ie. rain catcher)

Paul

Funny, we have the same thing on our mast, and thought it was something the PO did.  I couldn't figure out why it was there.
1988 C34 wing keel, standard rig

Ted Pounds

It's for a spinnaker halyard...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447