Remove and replace inclinometer

Previous topic - Next topic

krafty81

Hope I spelled it right! The original one no longer displays, looks like it leaked or something. How to pry the old one out and put in a new one without damaging anything? Thanks.
2007 Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull #1786

Jim Hardesty

That's an aftermarket part.  Not something put on at the factory so there may be lots of variety on what we have on our boats.  May be on with mounting tape or a couple of screws depending on the brand. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : My "Fun Meter" is mounted under the companionway abutted against the teak on the top. I call the inclinometer the "Fun Meter" because the higher the number the more "Fun" you are having!!!   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteGuys : My "Fun Meter" is mounted under the companionway abutted against the teak on the bottom. I call the inclinometer the "Fun Meter" because the higher the number the more "Fun" you are having!!!   :thumb:

My inclinometer story is on a sail with some nonsailors one of the young boys was looking a little worried about the boat motion.  I had him monitor the inclinometer and to let me know if it got to 30 told him that would be a new record.  He was disappointed that it didn't go half that far.  Everyone had an enjoyable sail.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

waughoo

I like that story Jim.  You gave him something to do to distract him from the fear only to have him enjoy himself.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

krafty81

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 26, 2024, 09:00:40 AMThat's an aftermarket part.  Not something put on at the factory so there may be lots of variety on what we have on our boats.  May be on with mounting tape or a couple of screws depending on the brand. 
Jim
Looks like it is glued on. How to get off?
2007 Catalina 34 Mk II, Hull #1786

KWKloeber

Quote from: krafty81 on September 26, 2024, 10:27:39 PM
Quote from: Jim Hardesty on September 26, 2024, 09:00:40 AMThat's an aftermarket part.  Not something put on at the factory so there may be lots of variety on what we have on our boats.  May be on with mounting tape or a couple of screws depending on the brand. 
Jim
Looks like it is glued on. How to get off?

A heat gun to soften the glue and a putty knife to lift it off. 
Could it be double-sided tape by chance?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteA heat gun to soften the glue and a putty knife to lift it off.
Could it be double-sided tape by chance?

Agreed.  Maybe a little acetone to soften and clean old glue.  I buy packs of plastic putty knives from the box stores.  Find less chance of scratching.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

ewengstrom

My lovely Admiral is one of those sailors that will put up with heeling over...but only to about 5 degrees and then the chirping starts. (it's good natured chirping...I promise)
So now every time she asks me how far over we're heeling, my answer is always "5 degrees".
It's become our little joke, but she still asks.  :D
I'd just love to do a custom inclinometer that instead of reading 0, 5,10,15,30 etc. I want it to say 0,5,5,5,5.
Seriously, I'd pay money for that just to see her face when we're rail down and she looks down and confirms that we are in fact heeling 5 degrees.  8)
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Craig Illman

You might look into getting some adhesive release too for cleanup after you remove it.

Craig

Ron Hill

Guys : When I first got the boat in 1989 I got an inclinometer from Boat US and mounted it under the companionway step (outside so it was visible while at the wheel). Into the season I noted that on one side it (the BB) would only go to 7 degrees and NO higher, so I kept it for the remainder of the season. When the boat was pulled I took it back to Boat US and traded in that faulty instrument!!

After the boat was launched in the spring with the new inclinometer my 1st Mate noted that we would heel much more than last season. So I was instructed to reduce sail more often.

YES, I really screwed up trading in that old incriminator!!!   :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788