Mystery fluid in bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I found the fluid in the picture in the bildge twice now and it is coming from under the galley.  I've checked the connections for the plumbing of the galley and I can't find anything.

The fluid doesn't smell like anything.  Which makes me think it's water, but it's not clear.  I though maybe the sink was leaking, and it's coffee grinds but no scent.

Any ideas, or where to look further?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

scgunner

You've only got so many water sources and the discolored water further limits the options. The discolored water could either come from the sink or it could be clean water dripping on to something dirty and then running to the bilge. The sink and pluming would be the most likely culprit, if it's under the sink the water heater would also be suspect. I'd start by pulling all the covers and drawers to get access. I had a leak sink drain fitting and it filled the drawer under the sink with water and when it dripped into the bilge it was pretty funky looking.

What's that layered wafer looking stuff in the first picture?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

Rusty water from leaking hot water heater would be my first guess.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on July 29, 2024, 01:30:50 PMRusty water from leaking hot water heater would be my first guess.
Jim
Huh.  It's not there all the time.  This is the second time I've seen it.  Nothing when I leave the boat for a couple of weeks, but when we come back in sometimes it's there.

Mind you... when she's flat and calm nothing is going to 'spill' over will it?  Underway she's a rockin and rolling... does the hot water tank sit in a tray?

One catch... the hot water absolutely stinks at the moment.  Like sulphur.  This doesn't smell like anything.

Jon W

A wild guess - you said "When you come back after a few weeks, it's there".

When you leave you turn off your fridge. If your evaporator was iced up, that will melt and the water pool in the bottom of the fridge. Have you checked the fridge drain nipple, and hose connections?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on July 29, 2024, 04:10:14 PM1.  does the hot water tank sit in a tray?

2.  One catch... the hot water absolutely stinks at the moment.  Like sulphur.  This doesn't smell like anything.

1.  No, but just go look.

2.  See the 101 Topics:
Fresh Water System Recommissioning 101 - Peggie Hall's "Cocktail" Rotten Egg Odor http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5836.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scgunner

The rotten egg smell is caused by the water molecules reacting with the molecules on the inner metal surfaces of the tank. It's pretty common when the water sits for a long time a typical fire apparatus (pumper) carries 500 gals of water in an aluminum tank and when the water hasn't been changed for awhile the smell is impressive when putting out a small brush fire. Changing the water in your water heater will solve that problem.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on July 30, 2024, 07:16:23 AM>>>>>
 It's pretty common when the water sits for a long time
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
 Changing the water in your water heater will solve that problem.

That is why whern I'm on the boat for even a short period of time, whether I heat the water or not, I always use the HOT faucet.  It moves water though the heater's tank, hot or not.  I don't ever get the smell.  Learned this "trick" from a tech note from 1988!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

Here is another possibility... the temp and pressure valve on the hot water tank releases water out of the tank when water temp or pressures get too high.  When you run the boat's engine, you heat the water enough to expand its volume and thus raise the pressure in the hot water loop.  The T&P valve will open slightly and bleed off some of this pressure and some of the water as well.  Since your tank is likely older, the hose that came with the tank's T&P valve has long since disappeared so now the water drips onto the raw plywood shelf Catalina made to hold the tank.  This water gets discolored by the plywood and eventually ends up in the bilge.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: waughoo on July 30, 2024, 08:42:27 AMHere is another possibility... the temp and pressure valve on the hot water tank releases water out of the tank when water temp or pressures get too high.  When you run the boat's engine, you heat the water enough to expand its volume and thus raise the pressure in the hot water loop.  The T&P valve will open slightly and bleed off some of this pressure and some of the water as well.  Since your tank is likely older, the hose that came with the tank's T&P valve has long since disappeared so now the water drips onto the raw plywood shelf Catalina made to hold the tank.  This water gets discolored by the plywood and eventually ends up in the bilge.

Hmm! Now that is interesting.  I know there is only a hose on the drain as I put it there.  There is no hose on the pressure release.  I wondered if the discolouration was the wood.  You get the same thing with leaking deck hardware...

Ron Hill

pby : Empty the bilge!! 

Then take a piece of paper towel and wrap it around each and EVRY hose connection!!!  Operate the boat so all of the functions under the galley sink have water flowing thru them.

Then check each for wetness!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 30, 2024, 02:47:31 PMpby : Empty the bilge!! 

Then take a piece of paper towel and wrap it around each and EVRY hose connection!!!  Operate the boat so all of the functions under the galley sink have water flowing thru them.

Then check each for wetness!!   :thumb:

A thought

Good idea! I can't move it right now but I can certainly do the dishes!  8)

Breakin Away

FWIW, my boat's #1535 and still young enough to have the hose on the pressure relief valve. Your #1534 is a 2000 and my #1535 is 2001, so it's a whole year newer!  :razz:

Regardless, the temperature-induced pressurization of the hot water tank can cause small leaks through the relief valve when motoring for an extended time, so that's worth checking.

Not all leaks come from fittings, so don't obsess on that alone. My galley sink had a small pinhole in the bottom. The PO had the boat detailed when he put it up for sail, and I think the super-super shiny sink was over-polished by the detailers, causing the pinhole leak.

When leaving the boat I turn off the water pressure, then I also bleed the pressure from hot and cold water sides. That reduces the speed of any slow leak you might have.

If you have a tiny leak in a fitting, the pressure will release slowly through that leak. If you overnight on the boat and hear your water pump come on for a split second every hour or so, you definitely have a tiny leak in your fresh water system.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

One easy check to see if you have a small leak is to turn off the water pump at the circuit breaker when you leave the boat overnight.  When it's turned back on the pump shouldn't pump if the pressure is still there. ie no leak.  Of course that won't work if there's a dripping faucet.  This doesn't find the leak but shows if there is one.  Shamrock will hold pressure for days. I do this often and if the pump runs a couple of times its leak hunting season.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

The above also doesn't work if you heat up the water tank.  The expansion of the hot water will also increase pressure.  As the tank cools, it will reduce the pressure and thus when the water pump is switched back on, it will run to replace the missing pressure.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte