shower drain

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

I don't think a lot of people take pictures of their shower drain but I am wondering if anyone has a picture of the shower drain on their 87 catalina. I am cleaning a putting together the head this weekend and have cleaned the drain but not sure if this looks right.I found the hose that comes from the drain it was disconnected from the shower pump.
mine looks rotted and maybe I need to fiberglass something????
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Stu Jackson

The screen covers the hose that goes to the sump box that is under the fiberglass sole just outside the door to the head.  Another separate hose from the sump box goes to the pump that is under the countertop in the head, outboard of the sink and behind the toilet paper compartment, and from the pump to the seacock.

The "hole' in your first two pictures should be sealed so the water from a shower only goes into that hose.  It is hard to tell what is going on there because of all the black in the first two photos.

The plumbing pages in your manual show all this quite clearly, but incorrectly!  The diagram on page 37 omits the sump box and shows the drain going directly to the pump and then the vented loop to the seacock. 

Stick a mirror under the head sink and use a flashlight to look around underneath the door under the sink;  look forward and amidships, too.  There should also be a check valve in the hose between the sump box and the pump; this avoids backflow to the sump box from the contents of the hose when the pump shuts off; diaphragm pumps have their own check valves, but it's the hose contents that the inline check valve holds back.

https://c34.org/wiki/images/b/b1/1988-C34-Owners.pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dan : I believe that your shower drain is simply a hose attached to your drain. In that hose on its way to the sump pump, there is a one way valve to prevent back flow. Hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like the hose is attached!!
You need to clean out all of the black gunk and as Stu mentioned look under the head floor with a mirror at the attachment of that hose. You didn't mention if your sump pump is working or not?

There is nothing to "rot" as it's all fiberglass or plastic/PVC hose!  It's hard to tell from your photos, but it almost looks like the hose has been pushed up thru the small sump in the floor??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Thanks You Im thinking a power washer might do the trick. It took me hours to get the picture as good as you see. The hose from the shower drain went to the pump it was disconnected I'm assuming they disconnect it for the Winter (not sure) from the pump it goes up to a loop and then to a thru hull.
I think all I have to do is reconnect the hose to the pump
Dan

Stu Jackson

Quote from: melp64 on July 28, 2024, 03:51:42 PMThanks You Im thinking a power washer might do the trick. It took me hours to get the picture as good as you see. The hose from the shower drain went to the pump it was disconnected I'm assuming they disconnect it for the Winter (not sure) from the pump it goes up to a loop and then to a thru hull.
I think all I have to do is reconnect the hose to the pump

No, the hose in the floor of the head should go to the sump box.  You need to see if you have one first.  That's what Ron & I are attempting to explain.

A power washer, even at low pressure, would be overkill in that space.  Get a dental pick or a screwdriver and clean out the gunk to find out what's there first.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Dan : It looks to me that you might need some bleach to get after that mildew!!

Connect the hose to the pump and see what happens. If the diaphragm pump "growls" make sure that the exhaust hose is connected to the double fitting on the thru hull. I'll guess that you'll need to replace the one way check valve in the line. Then turn on the pump and pour some water in the drain and see if the lines are clear.

FYI - It is NOT necessary to disconnect that line for winterization!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Thank you Ron maybe you can clarify some of the other comments. Stu is say there is a sump box that the water would go in and a hose from the sump to the pump. Hearing there is a sump box would lead me to believe that there is sump pit like you might see in a house( not as big). I included a picture of what I think people are saying obviously I can't see under the shower pan, but I can see the pump from the door under the sink.(that how I knew the hose was disconnected. I haven't even tried any of the 12volt system.
I'm beginning to think that maybe the PO disconnected a lot of these systems so the kids wouldn't use them. Why else would they disconnect them.
Dan

Stu Jackson

Yes, that is exactly what we've been saying, just add a check valve in the hose from the box to the pump.

The box is underneath the "the fiberglass sole just outside the door to the head."  As I noted in Reply #1 above, hence, the quote.  And also why we both said "get a mirror" and go look.  You can see under there, but only with a mirror and a flashlight.

ewengstrom

Stu,
I understand you to say there is (or should be) some kind of sump box under the floor outside the head door.
I've drilled a 4" hole in the sole under the wood floor for access to the shower drain hose and there is no sump on our boat, in fact the only reason I'm replying is I'm pretty sure that since I can barely get my hand into the space there to access the hose clamp I just don't see where a sump would go??? The shower drain itself is glued or glassed in with a 90 degree elbow that is aimed directly aft to where the hose comes out under the sink, then there is a one way valve and then a few feet from that is the pump itself.
I'm just wondering if others have the above described setup, or do they in fact have a sump down there somewhere?  :donno:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Stu Jackson

A little detective work on shower sump found this gem:

https://c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/May_2001.pdf

I got there from this:  Reply #12

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6423.msg41708.html#msg41708

The link in that reply is:

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4114.0.html

Which got me to its Reply #11 and the May 2001 tech note.

Others have reported NO sump box, too.  But the May 2001 tech note sure shows one.

Which is why we KEEP REPEATING OURSELVES:  please go LOOK to see what YOU have on YOUR boat.  Please, pretty please... :D

Noah

No sump box on my 1990 boat either. Just a very hard to teach hose barb to pump hose.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

melp64

Quote from: ewengstrom on July 30, 2024, 04:09:10 AMStu,
I understand you to say there is (or should be) some kind of sump box under the floor outside the head door.
I've drilled a 4" hole in the sole under the wood floor for access to the shower drain hose and there is no sump on our boat, in fact the only reason I'm replying is I'm pretty sure that since I can barely get my hand into the space there to access the hose clamp I just don't see where a sump would go??? The shower drain itself is glued or glassed in with a 90 degree elbow that is aimed directly aft to where the hose comes out under the sink, then there is a one way valve and then a few feet from that is the pump itself.
I'm just wondering if others have the above described setup, or do they in fact have a sump down there somewhere?  :donno:

That is exactly how mine is set up thats how I know the hose is disconnected. I actually like the ideal of the sump as it would give you more time in the shower before the shower pan starts to fill up
Dan

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Dan.
All of the MK I C34s that I've seen have a hose connected to the underside of the shower drain that goes to the shower pump.  NO sump box!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

Stu,
Thanks for your reply to my question. I did do a search for "shower sump" but pretty much everything I read seemed to use the term "shower sump" interchangeably with I believe was the shower drain. I did try to access the Tech Notes article you referenced but for some reason my credentials aren't being accepted on both a laptop and my phone. Not sure what's up there but that's another issue.

FYI, I'm quite intimate with the plumbing on my boat, I drilled a big hole in the floor to access the area in question. There literally isn't enough room between the bottom of the floor and the hull to get my hand (size LG, not XL) in that hole, I can feel the clamp on the shower drain with my finger tips, but can't see it without a mirror.
My entire inquiry revolved around my curiosity as to where this sump would be placed on a Catalina 34. If anyone has one I'd sure like to see how it's installed, like Dan I think it's a good idea.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

LogoFreak

The original setup is beyond dumb, the tube from the drain goes uphill towards the pump... I too have cut a large hole under the floor right in front of the head door. I can feel the elbow that's been glassed in. I plan on cutting it all off by hand which I'm sure is going to take forever. Once removed I'll come up with a different way to make an elbow that will point downhill towards the bilge, there's room there to install a shower sump box with its own pump that's float switch operated.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179