Change water pump?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Your Engine Parts Manual lists two pumps, different impellers
One is 2.25" dia.
The other is 2.75" dia.
So the B engines had both ones, not just the larger impeller as I thought.

A Google search on the Kubota P/Ns shows that there are two size impellers -- 60mm and 70mm.

On Amazon Kumar Bros. has Universal pumps listed - search for your Universal pump p/n.

I have no experience w/ pump longevity on B engines, but there can be a lemon in any basket, right?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Breakin Away

I suffered the same issues in 2018. I have hull #1535, so we almost certainly have the exact same coolant pump. This post from 2018 gives a comprehensive view of the options and touches on every one of your concerns. Note that Kubota seems to change their part numbers every couple of years, so the the current numbers may have changed by now (at least once):

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9461.msg77379.html#msg77379

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

pbyrne

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 05, 2024, 01:27:42 PMI suffered the same issues in 2018. I have hull #1535, so we almost certainly have the exact same coolant pump. This post from 2018 gives a comprehensive view of the options and touches on every one of your concerns. Note that Kubota seems to change their part numbers every couple of years, so the the current numbers may have changed by now (at least once):

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9461.msg77379.html#msg77379

OK.  I read through it. So... I should be able to unbolt the pulley cover and test the shaft for play pretty easily, and as the engine is pre 2005, it should be the 57mm/2.25" pump, possibly P/N 16251-73032.  Gasket P/N unknown?

What is the best way to drain the coolant and then refill to ensure no air is in the system?

Last but not least, does anyone know a Canadian distributor near Kingston, Ontario?  It would be nice to walk in and compare.

2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 29, 2024, 03:00:11 PMpby : Yes, the weep holes are there to let you know that water OR a oil seal needs to be changed!!  :thumb:

A thought

Does changing the pump fix both issues..?

KWKloeber

Breakin

I plumb forgot that you had gone thru that!  And I did actually look on the wiki about B engines. -- I added a note to your wiki post to clarify that it pertains to "the Bs".

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 05, 2024, 01:27:42 PMKubota seems to change their part numbers every couple of years, so the the current numbers may have changed by now (at least once):

For "B" engines built:
<=Dec 2004 (date code E412) the current Kb P/Ns are 16241-73037 60mm impeller pump; replaces Wb pump 200820.  Kumar Bros P/N 200820.

Jan 2005 and => (date code E501) the current Kb P/Ns are 16251-73032 70mm impeller pump /  gasket; replaces Wb pump 201107 / gasket 301107; for

The benefit of using Messicks is that if you search a Kb P/N, it gives you the history of any past P/Ns that "your" number supersedes and it also shows if "your" number is superseded by a newer P/N.

Noted that you had some difficulty because there were apparently two (or more) completely different P/Ns for the same 60mm pump.  The way Kb numbers its parts is by the equipment it is on so a Kb tractor, Skid Steer, excavator, and generator might all have different P/Ns for exactly the same part.  When searching for some parts I have found that depending on what Kb model equipment it is on, the price of the identical part can vary -- sometimes significantly.     

Note also that Kumar DOES carry the 2-1/4" pump; search for the Wb P/N on the Kumar site.

A reason why EDI might not have found the P/N is that different divisions (say an agricultural dealer) can sometimes NOT be able to access/buy P/Ns that are from the other division (Dealer protection -- just like Wb has strict dealer territory agreements.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on June 06, 2024, 07:55:41 PMWhat is the best way to drain the coolant and then refill to ensure no air is in the system?

Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6)  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: pbyrne on June 06, 2024, 07:57:20 PMDoes changing the pump fix both issues..?

I believe Ron may have been thinking of the seawater pump (which has oil and water seals.)  Have you researched your Parts Manual?  It shows the exploded parts of the coolant pump, which is actually really simple (probably the simplest turning piece on your engine.)  It's invaluable to  familiar with the manual -- it answers many questions and can be a lifesaver in an emergency situation!
The coolant pump has only one seal between the water chamber and the shaft.

Dealers in Ca are bit different than in the US re: what equipment they can order parts for.
The Kubota Global website has a search for dealers in every region by the type of equipment.

You do not need to unbolt anything to check for wobble.
Quote from: KWKloeber on May 27, 2024, 09:28:47 PMRemove the belt and see if the shaft will wobble.

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 06, 2024, 08:24:00 PM
Quote from: pbyrne on June 06, 2024, 07:57:20 PMDoes changing the pump fix both issues..?

I believe Ron may have been thinking of the seawater pump (which has oil and water seals.)  Have you researched your Parts Manual?  It shows the exploded parts of the coolant pump, which is actually really simple (probably the simplest turning piece on your engine.)  It's invaluable to  familiar with the manual -- it answers many questions and can be a lifesaver in an emergency situation!
The coolant pump has only one seal between the water chamber and the shaft.

Dealers in Ca are bit different than in the US re: what equipment they can order parts for.
The Kubota Global website has a search for dealers in every region by the type of equipment.

You do not need to unbolt anything to check for wobble.
Quote from: KWKloeber on May 27, 2024, 09:28:47 PMRemove the belt and see if the shaft will wobble.

Yeah, I'll take a look when I get back to the boat. It's 2 hours away at the moment.

Look like there is a Kubota dealer in town.  I'll see what they make of that P/N.

How tricky is it to retension the belt?  I don't have anything other than standard hand tools on board. Do you need a lot of leverage?

KWKloeber

I don't have a B engine but it does help to help to have a tensioner.
https://c34.org/search_gcse/?q=Belt+tensioner

I believe some have used a bar clamp (backwards) as a pulley spreader.

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 06, 2024, 08:04:05 PMBreakin

I plumb forgot that you had gone thru that!  And I did actually look on the wiki about B engines. -- I added a note to your wiki post to clarify that it pertains to "the Bs".

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 05, 2024, 01:27:42 PMKubota seems to change their part numbers every couple of years, so the the current numbers may have changed by now (at least once):

For "B" engines built:
<=Dec 2004 (date code E412) the current Kb P/Ns are 16241-73037 60mm impeller pump; replaces Wb pump 200820.  Kumar Bros P/N 200820.

Jan 2005 and => (date code E501) the current Kb P/Ns are 16251-73032 70mm impeller pump /  gasket; replaces Wb pump 201107 / gasket 301107; for

The benefit of using Messicks is that if you search a Kb P/N, it gives you the history of any past P/Ns that "your" number supersedes and it also shows if "your" number is superseded by a newer P/N.

Noted that you had some difficulty because there were apparently two (or more) completely different P/Ns for the same 60mm pump.  The way Kb numbers its parts is by the equipment it is on so a Kb tractor, Skid Steer, excavator, and generator might all have different P/Ns for exactly the same part.  When searching for some parts I have found that depending on what Kb model equipment it is on, the price of the identical part can vary -- sometimes significantly.     

Note also that Kumar DOES carry the 2-1/4" pump; search for the Wb P/N on the Kumar site.

A reason why EDI might not have found the P/N is that different divisions (say an agricultural dealer) can sometimes NOT be able to access/buy P/Ns that are from the other division (Dealer protection -- just like Wb has strict dealer territory agreements.)

Old" pumps with 2.25" impeller: 16241-73030, 16241-73032, 16241-73033, 16241-73034, 16241-73037, 16251-73030, 16251-73032 (current model, but seems to change frequently).

"New" pumps with 2.75" impeller: 16251-73034, 16251-73037 (very recent change not shown on most dealers' lists)

Ok, need some help.  According to the original post, for a 2000 Catalina the part number is 16251-73032, but in the above post it's listed as the part number for the 2005 and greater.

I asked the local Kubota for 73032 and the have it for $$264.36 CAD + 13% tax...and they can't tell me the impeller size.  If I return it, other than the massive PITA that would be after removing the pump, they want a 20% restock.

Exact guidance on the correct P/N would be greatly appreciated!  :D

KWKloeber

Breakin confirmed he installed a 2-1/4" pump and the part number.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9461.msg77421.html#msg77421

What are you questioning?  Where did you obtain "for a 2000 Catalina the part number is 16251-73032".

I think if you need further confirmation than Breakin's actual install, you might need to call several dealers (as Breakin did) until you find one in stock and confirm the part number and impeller size.
Or as I said earlier Kumar Bros lists a replacement to the Westerbeke part number (I believe on Amazon.)

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 15, 2024, 03:48:28 PMBreakin confirmed he installed a 2-1/4" pump and the part number.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9461.msg77421.html#msg77421

What are you questioning?  Where did you obtain "for a 2000 Catalina the part number is 16251-73032".

I think if you need further confirmation than Breakin's actual install, you might need to call several dealers (as Breakin did) until you find one in stock and confirm the part number and impeller size.
Or as I said earlier Kumar Bros lists a replacement to the Westerbeke part number (I believe on Amazon.)

Breakin's post says 16251-73032 is for 'Old' i.e <= 2005.

"Old" pumps with 2.25" impeller: 16241-73030, 16241-73032, 16241-73033, 16241-73034, 16241-73037, 16251-73030, 16251-73032 (current model, but seems to change frequently).

But your post says, 16251-73032 is for >=2005.

Jan 2005 and => (date code E501) the current Kb P/Ns are 16251-73032 70mm impeller pump /  gasket; replaces Wb pump 201107 / gasket 301107

I'd love to go to a dealer and see, but this is Canada, or around here at least keeping parts in stock is unlikely.  The US of A is way ahead on stuff like that.  Canada not so much....  as I said they'll order it in, and if it's wrong its a 20% restock and $20 shipping.  That's half of what it costs.

I'd like to be 100% sure it's the correct part number as I have no way to actually see the part up front.

Ron Hill

pby : The first thing you need to do is like Ken mentioned - take off the belt and see if you have wobble in the pulley shaft.  Maybe you don't need a new pump!!

On tightening/tensioning the belt - on my new M25XPBengine I can't use the belt tensioner that I had for the old M25XP engine. I am able to push on the alternator with one hand and then tighten the bolt with the other.  I can't fit the belt tensioner in anymore!!  (I've got the older large case Balmar alternator)

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 01, 2024, 02:54:22 PMpby : The first thing you need to do is like Ken mentioned - take off the belt and see if you have wobble in the pulley shaft.  Maybe you don't need a new pump!!

On tightening/tensioning the belt - on my new M25XPBengine I can't use the belt tensioner that I had for the old M25XP engine. I am able to push on the alternator with one hand and then tighten the bolt with the other.  I can't fit the belt tensioner in anymore!!  (I've got the older large case Balmar alternator)

A few thoughts

I can hear a slight clicking sounds when a over the pump up and down it's a very slight noise but it's there. Also nothing is coming out of the weeping hole (I had the paper in) and after I cleaned up the discolouration in the photos with CLR there has been no further discolouration.

I'm a bit puzzled at this point...