Anchor Roller inquiry

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

I want to install a longer anchor roller on my '88 , was curious if there was a step by step photo sequence on how Ron Hill installed his Windline roller years ago.
Thanks,
Ron Ellard
Marygee 615

Ron Hill

Ron : I have no other photos of my installation back in the early 1990s.  
After I installed it like I wrote in the article, I have sense found that my bow roller is extended out about 3 /4 inches further than the factory installed roller on 1989 and subsequent! C34s!

Not too sure why you'd need a bow roller out any further.   My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

Ron,
Here is a photo of my extended bow roller that I bought from Garhauer and installed on my boat. I believe that it's length is 29 inches long and it extends out to about the end of the bow pulpit. I had to remove the center bow cleat, and I installed new schaeffer 8 inch stainless bow cleats. With my Bruce Anchor, and windlass, the anchor clears the bow without hitting the boat.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Ron : I looked at Les's installation which looks about like mine. 

I had forgot to mention that with my Bruce 33 anchor in the bow roller, the front of the anchor extends out about the same distance as the front of the bow pulpit.

Again not too sure why you would want to go further forward than that!?!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Les Luzar

I agree with Ron that a bow roller extended to the bow pulpit is far enough. As I explained, at this distance, the Bruce does not hit the boat when deploying or hoisting the anchor even when it swings into position. So I too, do not see a reason to go any further out. The reason I chose my length, is that I had a 33# Bruce and this size fit the anchor best in my opinion.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

RonE

Sorry Ron,
I should have been more clear, my current anchor roller is the real short one,  6 inches or so.

Ron Hill

Ron E : If you want more pictures of my bow roller, I just remembered that it is in the photos of my windlass article. 

Look in WiKi, Projects and mainsheet tech notes.
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Are there different style anchor rollers for different style anchors?  My old boat didn't have an anchor roller.  My '86 C-34 has a short double roller.  The boat came with a danforth anchor.  Haven't had a chance to look at it all too closely but it doesn't appear the anchor could stay in the roller while sailing without hitting the bow.  If I kept the danforth, do I need a danforth style anchor roller?

RonE

Perfect Ron H,
That last photo was the best. I read over your original write up in tech notes and followed where you made the cut of the original roller and placed the CR-1 over it. I also looked at my photo, I took today and visioned where you place the bolts, washers and shim. 
I am assuming you added that medal plate you have at the top of the anchor locker, also noticed what looked like a plexeglass piece placed behind the CR-1 to protect the boat from chain.
I see you have the same access port as I do in the anchor locker to reach forward to the back plate of the cleat. However my arm isnt long enough to reach the back plate of the anchor roller. Curious is there an access port behind that metal plate??
Thanks again..
Ron E

Ron Hill

RonE : I installed the bow roller using the center 4" Beckson port installed by the factory.  I've got short arms, but was able to get in there for the nuts and fender washers under the bow roller.

It's when I installed the extra 8" side cleats that I had to cut in the port & starboard 4" Beckson ports to get at the underside nuts and backing plate.  Again watch/bewhere that side cut-ins, as there are wires (running and cabin lights) to contend with!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Weiss

Quote from: mregan on April 25, 2013, 11:39:39 AM
Are there different style anchor rollers for different style anchors?  My old boat didn't have an anchor roller.  My '86 C-34 has a short double roller.  The boat came with a danforth anchor.  Haven't had a chance to look at it all too closely but it doesn't appear the anchor could stay in the roller while sailing without hitting the bow.  If I kept the danforth, do I need a danforth style anchor roller?

I think you and I are in the same boat (pardon the pun). I have a Danforth type as well although I don't know the size offhand. But I don't think it would fit on the anchor roller:

Stu Jackson

Some earlier discussion of this topic:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5336.0.html

...with pictures, too.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Use your bow roller for your plows, CQRs, Ronco, Delta, or Manson anchors. For a Danforth or Fortress, hang them from your bow pulpit. Ensure the shaft is adequetly secured from swinging, and your stocks are below the rail to avoid catching your genoa.

Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Right.  And there are two ways to "hang" a Danforth-type anchor.  The fluke hanger with the shaft down or the stock hanger that grabs the pivoting arm.

There is one other way:  on my boat the anchor locker is built to hold Danforth-types.  PITA to deploy, but then I wouldn't use one for a primary anchor anyway.

I moved the stock holder to our aft pushpit to use as a stern anchor when required.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

I hang my Danforth on the side of the bow pulpit.  I have a clamp-on stainless slot that the pivot arm slides into at the bottom of the pulpit tubing brace.  It's handy as the weight of the anchor holds it into the stainless slot.  I then secure the shank to the pulpit.  The chain is attached to the Danforth shank and the rest of the chain & rode are in the split anchor well. The little factory roller has a pin that goes thru the chain so it can't get away.  It's sits there and is ready to deploy in minimal time.

Just make sure that the shank doesn't extend higher than the pulpit tubing.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788