Difference between Raymarine Autohelm 4000 and Autohelm 4000+

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaFever

Currently I don't have any autopilot on my Pearson 10M and am considering buying a 'new' Autohelm 4000+ from someone. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone on the forum can answer.

1. What is the difference between 4000 and 4000+ models? Where can I find the manuals for 4000+?
2. The drive unit installs on the steering wheel. Does anything install on the pedestal, where? A picture of my updated pedestal is attached. Will I have issues because I don't have space on the pedestal free for anything that may need installation there. A photo of your install might help me understand and look for alternatives
3. I can get hold of a core package of ST7000. However I have to find a drive unit for that. Cannot afford to spend $1500 for new one from Raymarine. Any suggestions on where I could find a ST 7000 drive unit for wheel steering? I believe the ST7000 is a under deck unit and the linear drive unit installs below decks and directly to the steering quadrant. Would the ST7000 be a better option given the fact that I may have real estate issues installing the ST 4000+?
4. I may also be able to get hold of a ST 5000. But I am not sure how much is the 'reasonable' and 'deal' price for the 4000+, 5000, or the 7000 core package.

Appreciate any insight from any of you. Thanks!
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Roland Gendreau

i dont know the difference, but you can download manuals for obsolete Raymarine products here:

http://www.raymarine.com/Default.aspx?site=1&section=3&page=657

You should be able to find answers to most of your questions there.

You can also submit questions to Raymarine support and they usually respond within 48 hours.

Create a user account on their site before you attempt to do this.

Roland Gendreau

Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

SeaFever

Thanks Roland,

I put in a call through to Raymarine. We shall see. Based on a picture I took on a friends boat that has a 4000 installed (pic attached), I won't be able to install the 4000 or any wheel based pilot as they will need a bracket installed on the pedestal a few inches below the steering wheel axis. That space on my pedestal is used up by the EnginePod.

Basically, I will have to install a below deck unit. I am now looking at a ST7000 unit from someone who has taken it off of a Hallberg Rassey. He is fitting his boat for offshore and updated to newer model for availability of spares from Raymarine. He is keeping the Linear drive unit for spare but is selling the rest. I am getting that and will need to find a Type 1 drive unit.

Thanks again. Will keep you guys updated.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA