Manual Bilge Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

The "Gusher" bilge pump, located near the control panel, has stopped working. It won't prime, so I think it is time for a rebuild. (20 years old). It appears the best way to remove is through the rear cabin with the bulkhead removed. Has anyone done this and do you have any hints?
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Bob Kuba

I have replaced the blower fan which is located right next to the gusher pump and you are correct. The only access is through the aft cabin after removing the bulkhead. It's a tight squeeze but it's possible to reach back and up to that location with one hand.

This picture doesn't quite show the pump. but it does show the blower motor and the tight confines you have to work in. I was laying on my back looking up at the blower when I took this photo. It is located just high enough to be almost out of reach while stretching and contorting.

It might be worthwhile to remove the engine instrument panel to let in a little more light, and possibly the arm of a second person to assist. If anything, I learned how a sailor's colorful vocabulary developed.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Stephen Butler

This is on our to-do list for July.  Any idea on the Gusher model, availability of rebuild kits, or whether one should just puchase new from Catalina, Catalina Direct, or WM/Defender? 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stephen Butler

Titan pump; rebuild kits at WM, Defender, and just about any chandler; straight forward job.  Next time, I will check the website a bit more thoroughly before posting a question.  Must add that after looking at Bob's pictures, am glad I have the sugar-scoop stern.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I remember when I needed a replacement part for mine, I went on-line to figure out which rebuild kit contained the part I needed. I believe there are two kits. You used to be able to buy the individual parts but not any more, you must buy the whole kit. On mine, one of the hinges broke where it pivots to move the bellows. I'm not sure if WM had the kit in stock or I had to order it, but it was available.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net