Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  


Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - GYPSEA

Pages: [1]
Main Message Board / Re: Galley Counter Top
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:48:18 AM »
Finished Product.

Main Message Board / Re: Galley Counter Top
« on: June 15, 2020, 06:30:39 AM »
That was the initial coat - then a top coat of epoxy smoothed out any depressions.
Polished the sink, and bought a new faucet.... Nothing like taking a $100 project and turning it into a $250 project (ha!).
So GYPSEA has sat at the dock for 2 weekends - that's too much time between sailing! Even if it's just for an hour sailing.
I'll send a finishing pic when the install is complete.

Main Message Board / Re: Galley Counter Top
« on: June 15, 2020, 06:25:31 AM »
Now the re-assembly begins

Main Message Board / Re: Galley Counter Top
« on: June 10, 2020, 05:19:24 AM »
The neighbors bought the kit. Then bought additional epoxy at the local epoxy shop for a little cheaper.

Base primer after sanding formica down last night.  Next Bher artic white paint/primer after a light sanding on the base primer.....

Hopefully this weekend we'll get the epoxy down. Will send pics when done. Thanks

Main Message Board / Re: Galley Counter Top
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:28:23 AM »

Main Message Board / Galley Counter Top
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:25:13 AM »
Neighbors have recently been playing with epoxy counter tops. We did a trial canvas pc this weekend. This led to preping GYPSEA's galley top for an update. The real reason was that the Formica had worn through one corner before we purchased.

Thank you Ron! Yes Sir - Same lags.

YES indeed to both posts!.
New 3/4 epoxy coated ply under the muffler. Great suggestion.
Also did thoroughly research all the muffler posts - - that's why you folks are the best - -  fantastic resource!

I can't believe all the things I've done to GYPSEA. I can't believe all the adventures we've had either! Even when I get a little crazy in the head and look at other boats -  I come back to GYPSEA. Best all around boat for Tampa and West Coast of Florida for sure.
Now I just need to remember not to show my excel spreadsheet to anyone (kidding) because it chronicles by date all the things I've done with costs. Ha.
Thank you all again!

Just wanted to say - Thank you! This group is awesome. I recently had the pleasure of pulling Gypsea's muffler out to see what was going on... First step - to to and research.
I had recently replaced the motor mounts and oddly didn't get a major reduction in noise..... hummm... then I took the muffler out to fix the inlet tube leak. It was cracked from over tightening. Apparently it had been leaking enough to rot out the front facing 2 screws holding it down to the 2x4 base/ply. Basically the hump hose didn't have to 'hump' at all. The thing rattled like crazy but I never knew exactly where ithe noise came from - suspecting I had the same issue as others after replacing the motor mounts. Thanks to all of your info posted out there - I decided I needed to make the tube replacement as I couldn't find anything out there to purchase. So I grabbed a piece of pvc the right diameter for the id and chucked it in the vise. Put some carnauba wax on it and then a layer of plastic wrap from the kitchen. I cut 3 pcs of cloth 12" x 36". Wet the first piece and proceeded to wrap it around the pvc pulling gently to make it tightly wrapped. A tap on the ground removed it from the long pvc pipe. Cut to size, and glassed it in. In hindsight, I should have used a vinyl-ester resin (to help with potential temp issues). Time will tell. Again thanks for all the help - a special shout out to Stu and all you've posted and guided over the years! These boats are fantastic! This weekend - epoxy coat the galley and head counter tops. Fingers crossed!

Main Message Board / Re: Core Repair Under Cowl Vents
« on: July 24, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
I too had this issue..... I chipped away at it all. Then took an allen wrench on a drill and got back into the hole as far as possible or until I didn't see any more wet wood. When i reached in on particular large section, I found a wad of duct tape - there was a bit of a gap!
From the gap - I was able to get to dry wood all the way round except out toward the side of the boat. I drilled a couple holes about 5 inches away from the dorade hole toward the side of the boat just enough to verify the wood shavings were dry.....
Then I glassed it up and painted it white.

Pages: [1]