Fuel line to fuel filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

My fuel line that goes from what I believe is called injector pump to the fuel filter has a serious kink in it due to sharp bend before air filter canister elbow. I am wondering if others are like this (picture below). I wonder if the fittings can be adjusted pointing down more so I wouldn't have such a sharp angle.
You can also see a pretty crackled fuel return line in the picture below my arrow. I need to get the size of that, which I think I have seen in some write ups at 1/4 OD or ID? Is it advisable to use regular hose clamps instead of the clip type hose clamps that came from factory. I saw Ron's idea of leather in between clamp and hose to reduce cutting into such a thin hose.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Paul

In the pic below my hose-to-on engine filter is disconnected, but you can see where the hose barb is positioned (the fuel supply is conned to it.) I don't recall if that barb is a banjo type or is threaded and tightens, either way, you can adjust it but obviously, make sure it's tight.

My notes show that I used 5/16" hose, Shields  #16-368-056 fuel hose is suitable (5/8" OD.)
I used ABA type embossed clamps, (the band doesn't cut) so no padding is needed under the clamps.  You can use the ABA or AWAB type, 

or the ABA mini clamps:

Are you missing the foam noise silencer on the air intake?

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : As I recall that nut-barb can be oriented down a bit so the hose need not be crimped.

It looks to me like your fuel hose is painted the same color as the engine!!  That means it's the same age (20++?) years old.  I'd replace it.
FYI, the tank to Racor to fuel pump to engine is 3/8" ID fuel hose.  The return line from the aft injector is 1/4" ID fuel line.
You might also think about an upgrade to USCG spec. fuel line!!  Look at Defender and or West.

Ken has shown the best grade hose clamps, but a piece of leather between the regular clamps and the hose also works.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

Thanks guys.
I got the lines off the boat tonight. The smaller Dia hose from the injector to the injector pump was 3/16 ID. For the line from the injector pump to the fuel filter that was 3/8 ID.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Paul

How did the hose fit on the hose barbs? 3/8 doesn't seem right --  too large.  I zoomed in and can see in my engine photo that my hose is marked 5/16".  Whatever works I suppose!

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ken Juul

When I'm replacing old hard hoses I always cut them in half and get my measurement there.  The ends are usually expanded from years on the fitting.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Set2sea

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 28, 2018, 07:39:47 PM
Paul

How did the hose fit on the hose barbs? 3/8 doesn't seem right --  too large.  I zoomed in and can see in my engine photo that my hose is marked 5/16".  Whatever works I suppose!

ken

I totally agree with you Ken - 3/8 seems a little big. When I measure with a Vernier caliper I get about .35. I bought 5/16 and 3/8. I am going to try 5/16 first. I forget what the barb measured but I think it was closer to 5/16 (.312). I come back with a note after install.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Set2sea

I replaced the fuel hoses last night. I did go with 5/16 ID for hose from injector pump to fuel filter. With my set up, this ends up being an S shaped run for the hose. With that; and how tight a 5/16 ID hose is to the barbs, I had to take off the fuel filter manifold plate from the engine (easier to do with fuel filter off) and the fuel inlet out of the injector pump in order to make hose connections. Then install both ends - fuel filter manifold plate and fuel inlet in injector pump.

I didn't want to cut the hose too short so I was a little long the first time and perfect after the second trim. I was very happy with how it came out. Again, the factory hose was 3/8 ID and a not so great fit onto barb on the fuel inlet on injector pump (as you can see in first picture). Also their S bend had some bad kinking.

The injector pump to nozzle hose was a lot easier and it was 3/16 ID with an easy run.

I think if I had a mechanic do this he would have taken the easier route and used 3/8 ID hose with not as good a fit!

Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : FYI, the hose was not done by Catalina.  Rather it was done by Oshkosh Universal factory and could be metric in size!?!
Also a hose that has been compressed on a barb for over 20+ years is a bit difficult to measure the ID !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 05, 2018, 03:06:19 PM
Paul : FYI, the hose was not done by Catalina.  Rather it was done by Oshkosh Universal factory and could be metric in size!?!
Also a hose that has been compressed on a barb for over 20+ years is a bit difficult to measure the ID !!

A few thoughts

Metric in size??? Interesting! Could have been.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Ron

Do you have info that our particular filter holder is an add-on by Universal? 
ICBW, but I thought it was installed on the blocks as Universal had specified/bought them.

One particular Kubota filter holder (below) was for a cartridge, but they may have also had one for a spin-on filter.

Ken

Ron Hill

Ken : As far as I know all the Oshkosh engines had a spin ON Fuel filter which I believe are the same as Kubota and Westebeke. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron

If that's the case then (my point was not clearly expressed) the filter bracket was already on the engine block that Oshkosh purchased and the hose from it to the injector pump was installed by Kubota, not Universal. i.e., it isn't a Universal "marineized" part.

K

Catalina007

After reading and doing some research it appeared 5/16 hose was the  correct ID for my M25 fuel lines.
Got to the boat and they are def smaller than what is on there and wont go on the barbs.
Correct hose must be 3/8 ID.

IF  5/16ths can get on with a little heat gun and elbow grease and motivation, is there any issue with fuel supply
and the smaller hose?   

KWKloeber

5/16" should be the supply and 1/4" the return line to the tank, at least those were mine - which were OEM.
One shouldn't overforce a too-small line on barbs.  IIWMB I'd place the barbs if necessary.