Sea Furl LD 915 - type of line?

Previous topic - Next topic

kable

I would like to replace the continuous furler line.  What type of line is it?

I see other helpful posts:
""end to end continuous diameter" splice with braid on braid line.

But what type of line do I need to purchase and learn/hire to have someone splice in place on my boat?

Thanks,
kable
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

scgunner

Kable,

My furler line parted one day while I was out for a sail. I replaced it myself, it wasn't that difficult. I got same size diameter and length line, it doesn't need to be a super high tensile strength line since it's mostly a hand line. You can YouTube how to splice the ends, you may need a couple of inexpensive tools for the job.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

kable : You can use 3/8" Dacron braid on braid line.  You'll need to make a continuous end for end splice - so you have a constant diameter.

This is not an easy splice to make, but you can practice. I found that most riggers don't know how to make it!! Mine wasn't as "pretty" as Hood made it back in 1988, but mine held and did the job!

A thought   
Ron, Apache #788

kable

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 11, 2018, 01:30:39 PM
Mine wasn't as "pretty" as Hood made it back in 1988, but mine held and did the job!

How did Hood make this and how did it get installed if it was already made?
Just making sure there isn't a nice line already out there for me to purchase and somehow install? ;>)
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

scgunner

Kable,

Hood probably built these units to Catalina specs at their factory and shipped them complete and ready to install. It would most likely involve threading the line through the furler, slipping the deck hardware onto the line then making the splice. There's no getting around it somebody's going to have to make that splice. There's no magic self-splicing line out there.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Kable :These lines were probably premade by Hood to their length specs. (C34 & C36).  They came with the 915 unit and were assembled by the dealer before turning over the hull to the buyer/owner

When putting the 915 together they simply slipped the "looped" line over the furler drum before the head stay was secured!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788