ST4000 - Autohelm

Previous topic - Next topic

dprice

My Autopilot has recently developed a problem.

I have never used it for more than a minute or 2 as I am a new owner of the boat.  But for those 2 minutes it appeared to function properly. At least up until a few weeks ago.

I am now getting a "Low Batt" alarm that kicks in as soon as it tries to make a course correction.  Batteries are fully charged and problem happens under sail or power.

Raymarine appears to have a very sophisticated support web site with the exception that they are ignoring my question.

I did find where it may be a localized voltage issue but I am not clear on where I should be testing the voltage.

Has anyone else this type of probem ?

Thanks

rirvine

David:

I have used Raymarine’s support a number of times both through their web site and by calling them on the phone.  They have always been responsive with answers that solved my particular problem.

As for the Autopilot:

A. You should measure the voltage at the power terminals on the back of the control unit.

B. The control should be connected directly to your boats 12V-power system â€" to the power terminals on the back of the control unit.

C. It should not get 12V power via the Seatalk cable that connects Raymarine instruments together.  The Seatalk cable have two wires plus a shield â€" red has power, yellow is the Seatalk data signal, the shield is ground.

D. The Seatalk cable can not provide sufficient power to drive the Autopilot once it attempts to correct the heading.

E. You can check the source of the power by disconnecting all the Seatalk cables from the Autopilot control unit.  If after doing this, the Autopilot does not power on (display does no come on), then the power was coming from the Seatalk cable from some other instrument.

F. The Raymarine manuals have a reason section on installation that could be helpful to you.

Have fun!

Ray

Ted Pounds

David,

I could be a poor or corroded conection somwhere causing a small voltage drop.  Measuring the open circuit voltage will not tell you if that's the problem.  You'll need to somehow measure the voltage at the autopilot with a load on it.  Or you can trace all the wires back, check for good, corrosion-free connections and see if that solves the problem.  Godd luck.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

pklein

When you are checking electrical connections, try to notice if any other devices go off (instruments) when the autopilot shuts down.  This may be a symptom that either the main positive feed or your negative buss has a connection problem.  You may end up pulling out the main panel and checking and tightening your connectors.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago