refrigerator

Previous topic - Next topic

charlesson

I recently purchased a 1988 c34. The PO informed me that the frig was not working and thought that it probably simply needed a "charge". I have no manual for the Adler Barbou(sp?) unit so any advice would be greatly appreciated.The compressor "seems" to be working.

thanks in advance,
kenheyman@msn.com

Stu Jackson

Adler Barbour Refrigeration Source

Ken

The best place I have found for information is:

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menu.tpl?fno=28

I had a problem last year, which I was able to fix by doing my own research on this 'site.  If you go to the archives under your problem, you'll find out that others have had it, too, and have found a way to fix it.

Of course, you could always either just post a question or call Waeco, but then you wouldn't have learned much on your own. :)

If you do call Waeco, ask for Gary, he's a great help.

My problem was that the fan wasn't working.  They shipped one out to their local rep, and I picked it up a few days later, installed it and it's been fine ever since.

Other "traditional" problems are the electronic module and loss of refrigerant.

While it's nice to have the manual, it's mostly an installation manual, and your's is already in place.  The troubleshooting guide is helpful, but most of that information is already in the archives on the 'site.  Waeco may be able to get you a manual, or there may be one on their own 'site.

I also assume your have used the "FIND" feature of this message board under "Adler Barbour."  Much of this answer is already posted in those messages.

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

c34member

Before you bring in the Refrigerant troops, check the two small automotive style fuses in the compressor unit.  Most folks don't realize they are there.

pklein

I had to recharge my reefer about 5 years ago.  the technician called the manufacturer from the boat with his cell phone to get the specs he needed.  
One helpful hint.  Most of the leaks come from the schrader valve that is used for recharging.  When he finished, he put teflon tape on the threads before replacing the brass cap.  This creates a second seal.  5 years later and it's still working like a champ.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago