help trouble shooting Adler Barbour Cold Machine

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

Stu,

When you say module are you talking about the little black box with the 15 amp fuse and where the red and black wire from the panel are screwed in? If so where did you find this little gem and how much did it cost? As you can see I'm willing to try anything to avoid a complete change out.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on August 31, 2017, 11:07:15 AM
   Stu,

When you say module are you talking about the little black box with the 15 amp fuse and where the red and black wire from the panel are screwed in? If so where did you find this little gem and how much did it cost? As you can see I'm willing to try anything to avoid a complete change out.

Yes, that's it.

Here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9065.0.html

'Member, this is an option only if you have troubleshooted to confirm it's your module.  If it is indeed a voltage issue you now know how to check that and the T stat, if refrigerant you'd see uneven cooling on the plates.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Also don't know if you've seen these, more background on my situation over the years:

Fridges 101 (Adler Barbour Repairs & Troubleshooting from Richard Kollmann)

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6956.0.html

Fridge Follies 101 - to prove that Richard is right and that 99% of fridge issues are electrical

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3044.0.html

[this is a repeat from my post #2 on page one]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

scgunner

Stu,

I tested the voltage at the input to the module today with the compressor and fan running and got 12.4 volts, no sag. Also the compressor appears to be running constantly now so I'm thinking it might be a refrigerant problem after all.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on September 01, 2017, 09:57:22 PM
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Also the compressor appears to be running constantly now so I'm thinking it might be a refrigerant problem after all.

I went back and read this entire thread from where you joined in.  You said you had some evidence of corrosion, but it appears that you haven't yet commented on the T stat or even/uneven cooling on the plate when the compressor runs all the time, though you've done the voltage-under-load check.  Also, have you read the Kollmann material?, although you've done the electrical check he does have more info unfortunately the stuff about the module is mostly the ones with the idiot lights!  :D  I did however, use his material to diagnose my 1986 pre-idiot-light unit and, based on my experiences with the unit for the prior 16 years as described in the second of those two links, confirm it was the module.

scgunner

Stu,

I have read just about everything on the site pertaining to this subject looking for that silver bullet. You've provided a veritable buffet of useful information on the subject, much appreciated, thanks.                                                                                                           
     As far as the condenser goes, it feels uniformly cold on all four sides, slightly colder on the sides butted up against the refer walls probably due to the insulation in the walls. I took a look at the T stat but I'm not really up to speed on its workings. I took the cover off, everything looked ok so I put a test light and a voltmeter and got nothing. Next I tried the T stat plug connector coming out of the control module and got 4.2 volts, not sure if this low or normal or what.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scgunner on September 03, 2017, 04:59:39 PM

1.    I have read just about everything on the site pertaining to this subject looking for that silver bullet. You've provided a veritable buffet of useful information on the subject, much appreciated, thanks. 

2.     As far as the condenser goes, it feels uniformly cold on all four sides, slightly colder on the sides butted up against the refer walls probably due to the insulation in the walls. I took a look at the T stat but I'm not really up to speed on its workings. I took the cover off, everything looked ok so I put a test light and a voltmeter and got nothing. Next I tried the T stat plug connector coming out of the control module and got 4.2 volts, not sure if this low or normal or what.

1.  I didn't realize silver bullets came with the buffet!  :D Must be Long John Silver's... :shock:  Or was that The Lone Ranger???

2.  The evaporator is what's in the box, the condenser is the finned tube radiator with the fan on it that sits on the base with the round compressor.   IIRC, the thermostat diagnosis material is on Kollmann's 'site.

scgunner

My bad, I mixed up my condenser/evaporator terms. I should know better, I recently installed a Vintage Air A/C unit in my '67 El Camino.
    I didn't say there was a silver bullet I was just hoping to find one like Hugh did by turning a screw, now that's a silver bullet! I think my silver bullet is going to involve complete unit replacement.