Haul out Projects - Deck refinish

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Paul,
A few seasons ago I needed to address some "wear" on the foredeck and kicked around some of the ideas mentioned so far. Ultimately, I decided to go with gelcoat and match up color as best I could, just to experiment, with the thought of doing the whole deck eventually if it worked out. It has worked out, but I haven't done the whole deck yet!😂 The good news is that it has held up, so I feel that is a good approach.
I washed, then cleaned/scrubbed with acetone. Used a soft brush to get into the grooves. After well dried, I taped, mixed up the gelcoat and rolled it on with short nap roller. Used a brush where needed.
Unless you've got a lot of wearing down of the pattern, I'd skip the Gibco pattern, just because I think it would be a bit tricky, maybe needing a pro to do it?
I assume the same cleaning approach would be followed for using a different coating. But I figured it would be better to stick with gelcoat.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

britinusa

Thanks Ed!

I'll be at the boat tomorrow (Sunday) and will take some close up shots.

One of the really bad areas is the Port Side Bow Anchor Locker Lid.

The good news is that I can bring that home and work on it in the Garage to perfect the process (ok, perhaps get to at least a satisfactory job)

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP