Winch Service & Main halyard hoisting issues

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

noah

yeah that photos shows the angle nicely.   but (continuing to hijack) if Rick's is below the boom, as just a not so wild ass guess, it's more than 2'.  Like I said, 2' from the exit doesn't seem right.  If Paul's exit is as yours, I'd probably stick it 1/2 way down, and if it's a CAM (not a CLAM as the professional said), no way, with the angle shown, would I place it off center -- but would put it in-line.  So much for agreeing with the 'professionals."   LOL. 

Think that location is about right?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

Sorry about the typing error.  Since this was not etched in stone Ken, I did say about.  One should use their own judgement.  Take a look at your own boat and make the calculations.  Maybe we don't always agree with "professional" but at least this rigger at Torresen knows his Catalina 34's.
Thanks for the pic Noah.  I have a few pics of my boat in my office and the exit hole appears similar.  On my recent post, I was hoping for a few comments on the placement of the cam cleat(one line width away from the halyard).  I was concerned with the lateral pull once you took up the slack with the winch.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Installed #150 Harken cam cleat on my mast for the halyard.  Placed it precisely 5'7" from the exit hole.  This gave me one and one half inch clearance.  Put the cleat in-line.  Marked, drilled and taped for a stainless steel bolt.  Place a little butyl tape from the bolt to outer edges on each side as the mast is rounded and this gave it a nice finished look.  (the distance from the exit hole on the mast to the swivel block is 7'2")
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Ahh ha!   "About half-way" appears closer than the expert's "about 2'".
Did he tell you to use neverseize on the fastener?  If not, to avoid action/galling between the bi metals. back them out one at a time (just leave the cam in place,) apply neverseize, reinstall.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

Ken,
I collected info from various sources, thought about it and made the decision to install.  I installed based on info I had and will live with my own decision.  This way I never have to blame anyone but myself.  This has served me well.
The cleat is staying put.
Happy senior,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Exactly!

My point was, (obviously not clear) redemption is sweet.  We need to evaluate the plusses and minuses similar to those I had posted and of course whatever you find on our own situations -- and it ain't as easy peazy as some say to just slap something on and be done, and torreson didn't know jack about were to place it. -- It's a "what works for you" kinda thing.

As far as the corrosion, YBYC thing also, but remember all the times folks try to get stainless boom end-cap screws out of aluminum..  It ain't pretty w/o neverseize.

kk

Quote from: Paulus on March 07, 2017, 06:10:04 AM
Ken,
I collected info from various sources, thought about it and made the decision to install.  I installed based on info I had and will live with my own decision.  This way I never have to blame anyone but myself.  This has served me well.
The cleat is staying put.
Happy senior,
Paul

Paulus

Ken, try being a little positive.  Torresen is a good outfit.  They didn't place it, only made a suggestion.
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul

I didn't say anything about Torreson as a whole, or that they are not a good outfit.  Just about the rigger who didn't know jack about placing the cleat (both laterally and height.)  As my MIL says, "Just cuz you do it for a living, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about."  Maybe he had an off day.

k

Paulus

Ken, give it a break!! Don't criticize people you don't know.
This is the end of this thread for me.  Getting older by the minute.
Paul  :!:
Cool Change 1989 #944