Glow Plug Amp Draw

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

Can one of of you with an ampmeter or Link10 meter on board tell me how many amps the engine glow plugs draw?

I've got a solenoid in hand that'll handle 30amps, and I'm wondering if this is sufficient for the glow plug solenoid upgrade.  I'm guessing it's sufficient, but it'd be nice to know.

malgase

Steve,

The wire used for the glow plugs, as I recall, is a #10 wire.  That is the "standard" size to use for a 30 amp circuit, so I would guess the solenoid you have would work.

The upgrade is intended to remove the large loop of wire to the ammeter and back to the glow plugs (and the associated voltage drop) as a means to decrease heating time, etc.  There are two ways to think about how to fix this.

First is to replace the ammeter with a voltmeter, and shorten the wire from the solenoid to the glow plug by running it through the solenoid you mention, and remotely operating that from the control panel.  Remember you are replacing hard wiring with an electromechanical device, which itself is subject to failure (moreso than just wire).  You might want to think about carrying a spare solenoid on board.

Another thought is to decrease the resistance in the wire by increasing wire size.  Although not as attractive, I would prefer to see amperage coming from the alternator while charging as it is more telling than voltage.  You can be reading 13.6 volts, but be discharging the battery . . .

I still haven't done this particular upgrade.  I plan on addressing the wiring harness this year, and still haven't decided how to do it, although I am leaning toward heavier wire from a reliability perspective.

Just one persons perspective . . . .

Michael