transmission 1996 35 universal

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtydirt

I have read thru some of the posts and learned a lot of helpfull information.  Here's my question.
Where is the fill mark on the dip stick and is the fluid a reddish color as in cars?  Appx 3/8" up from bottom of the
stick there is a groove notched in.  Is the the fill mark?  thanks

Roc

To check the ATF, you are correct, the line scribed onto the stick is where the fluid should reach.  However, the fluid is checked by unscrewing the dip stick all the way out and resting it into the hole, without screwing the dip stick into the threads.  Yes, the ATF is red, like in cars.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

dirtydirt

Ron Hill

Dirty : It's hard to get the exact level, so if you error - make it slightly over the mark NOT below the mark.

Back in the early 90's I suggested using a white paper towel (Mainsheet tech notes suggested by a friend F.A.Bristo) and just rolling the dipstick to indicate the level in the towel.  I mention this because over 95% of all questions asked have already been answered.  Those old 24 years of Tech notes have a wealth of information.
You can't Goolge it, you must do some reading which seems impossible in this technology age!!
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

A tip I picked up on the forum some time ago was to get some 1/8" dowel stock and use a pen to mark equivalent lines as the dip stick. The lighter colored wood is easier to read than the metal dipstick. Just don't drop it in the transmission!

Stu Jackson

Roll the transmission dip stick on a piece of paper towel: the mark will show up clearly.  I'd be careful about inserting anything "foreign" into the housing.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

It is hard to get the correct level.  I always purposely overfill.  Attach a peice of plastic/rubber tubing to the end of a turkey baster or pump.  Measure the distance between the dipstick mark and the bottom of the threads.  Apply a piece of tape on the tube at this distance.  Insert the tube into the trans stopping when the mark reaches the case, suck until you pull air.  Trans should be at the proper level.  Double check with the dipstick of course.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Hardesty

Dirty, Please take no offense, but buy your question sounds like you havn't studied your owners manual.  So I wanted to point out that the manual recommends "filling to the top" for winter storage.  Damn I hate to even type the "w" word so soon.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tonywright

Jim, equally no offense, but the instructions can be found in the Universal M35B manual:

"This is only recommended for extended storage only (12 months or longer)." I know that we have long winters in the North, but thankfully not that long!

On another note, it is important to NOT overfill. Hurth warns (in their manual for the transmission) that overfilling could cause seals to leak, the transmission breather to become blocked and the transmission to overheat. Since I might forget to reduce the transmission oil level in the spring, I prefer to leave it at normal level.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Roc

Tony,
If you are afraid you'll forget to bring down the ATF to the normal level in the spring, just stick a note on the raw water seacock with a note saying 'DRAIN ATF TO NORMAL LEVEL'.  This way, you won't start your engine unless you lower the ATF level back to normal.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD