Haul Out odds and ends

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I took Pau Hana to Shelter Island Boatyard here in San Diego last week for haulout.  This is my first time going through this drill, so the learning process has been pretty intense.  Firstly, I highly recommend this yard. They have been attentive and professional but even more importantly it is one of those rare yards here in So Cal where a boat owner is welcome to come in and do some work on your own boat during off yard working hours.  I was not fully prepared for all the things I could do during a haulout but I think I got most of the big items taken care of.

Bottom paint - Interlux Ultra Epoxy with 67% copper. 2 coats on the bottom and 3 along the splash line.
My rudder was mostly dry although it had a very small amount of wetness at the base and required no action.
Through hulls - All through hulls were inspected and found to be sound.  Lanacote was applied from above and below and worked through several times.
shaft packing - I was not certain as to the material previously used for packing on my propeller shaft.  After reading extensively in this forum concerning the pros and cons of a dripless PSS or to use the GFO (Gore) packing material I opted for the GFO.  My reasons stem from the information found here and after talking to my outfitter in the yard.  He express concerns that the PSS with a bellows is an excellent choice for higher RPM type of craft and for those that don't mind finding a way to a "quick" haulout if it needs service.  I am an independent type of soul and an avid do it yourself and decided upon the GFO for ease of serviceability and the fact that it can still be used in such a manner as to render it virtually dripless in design.  John at Western yacht commissioning walked me through the process of changing out the material while it was on the hard so that I could easily do it on my own in the water when it eventually will need to be replaced.
My cutlass bearing and propeller were all in good shape and required no service.
I figured that the only thing left to do before splashing today was to go around and apply a high gloss Polish and wax all round with a mechanical buffer.  Thats what I spent my Sunday doing yesterday and now the hull is more reflective than my bald head  :D
Only thing left to do besides paying the $$$ for the haulout and paint is to take a nice afternoon sail back down to the marina in South Bay San Diego. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Super report, Kevin, thanks.

One thing to be really, really careful about: :shock:  You're gonna be going a LOT faster now!!! :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I bet it looks pretty   :clap  !!
Scotty

Ralph Masters

Hey Kevin,

What did they tell you the life span of this paint job could be??  Just wondering.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kevin Henderson

I'm hoping for 4 years but it all depends on my divers reports each month.
The bottom was last done on Pau Hana in 2006.  The divers reports consistently had been "satisfactory" up until May when the diver stated the bottom paint as "poor"... time to haul out :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Guys :  The length of bottom paint depends on MANY factors -- hard or ablative, how much the boat is used, the type nasties you have in your water, salt or fresh etc etc etc. 

What I've found is that the slime continues to build even thought the barnacles are not on the hull they are on the running gear.  a thought.
Ron, Apache #788