Hood Seafurl 915

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy & Deb

We just bought a C34 equiped with a Hood Seafurl #915. Needing to drop the mast we pulled the pin at the base of the roller furling, only to see several pieces of hard, black plastic drop out, complete with nuts and bolts. It looks like a two piece affair, bolted around the forestay and acting as a stop for a double line type drum.

Is this part avalible? If so where. Any help would be appriciated. We are in the Astoria, Oragon area.

Ron Hill

Andy : You can call Hood at(603) 826-4117.  When you tell them your problem you might inquire about their 900 Sea Furl SL drum drive replacement.  It will fit the rest of your furling system.  I switched from my 915 line drive years ago and am very happy with it now.  APACHE  #788   ;)

ronphylhill@erols.com

Ted Pounds, Molly Rose #

Andy (and Ron),

I had a drum on my last boat and have a line drive on "Molly Rose".  I much prefer the line drive.    I don't have to worry about getting the right amount  of line on the drum.  I don't have a big coil of line in the cockpit when the jib is furled.  I don't have to tension the furling line to make sure it doesn't wind on the drum too loosely while rolling out the jib.  

Ted   :cool:

Ron Hill

Guess I became disenchanted when my 915 line drive became STOPPED because the constant size splice unraveled and jamed, with the 150 fully deployed.  It was just getting dark and the thunderstorms were upon us. I cut the drive line, "hand furreled" the sail in, wrapping the sail up with the sheet lines.  I then found that the cut splice would not go thru the two sets of guides on the base of the stanchons!!!  

No problem with the drum drive in the past 8+ years and NO wear on the line and NO splice!!.  APACHE #788  :)

ronphylhill@erols.com

September Morn

I have a Hood Seafurl on a '89 C-34 which suddenly Jammed for no apparent reason. The line is not frayed and I keep the unit lubricated with WD-40 as suggested. Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution? Any suggestions? Never had any problems with the unit before this one.

John Warwick

Doug C34 #1138 "Shana"

I have a complete Hood Seafurl 915 off my 91 C34, used only 3 months. I sent the complete drive unit back to the factory to be checked out after Hurricane Bob (August 91) Hood replaced all the the bearings to the newer (at the time) tolon bears. Still in orginal box. I replaced my head sail and furler. I have keep this unit boxed a spare willing to sell. Send me an e-mail if your interested. ;)

September Morn

Thanks for the quick reply. I have E-mailed the factory to find out what may be wrong and how much it will cost to fix the problem. I may very well be interested in buying what you have. How much do you want for it?

John Warwick

Ken & Vicki Juul #1090

You may also want to ask around your local marina/rigging shops.  Mine had the needed parts in the spare parts bin from furlers they had repaired/replaced in the past.

Doug C34 #1138 "Shana"

Check out your sources and if you are still interested you can be reach me at dsavary@verizon.net. I have everything from continous line, stanchion double blocks lower drive, tack swivel, tubes, sleeve inserts, halyard swivel and installation manual.
 :cool:

John Warwick

The final chapter in my Hood Seafurl 915 was that the main bearings needed replacing after 14 yrs. The factory says the average life is about 10 yrs!
The guys in Tech Service advise that the bearings are self lubricating with torlon balls mixed in with the stainless steel bearings. They advise that some lubricants can be adsorbed by the torlon and cause them to enlarge and negatively affect the operation. They advise that the best maintenance is to anually soak the entire drive unit and swivel in a bucket of hot soapy water and flush with fresh water to remove deposits. Flushing with fresh water after every use is also helpful. They acknowledged that the use of WD-40 is OK for freeing up a sticky unit while still installed on the boat but it should be flushed thoroughly with water before use to remove the WD-40 and other deposits. Be sure to order a new Spirolox Ring with the bearings as you will ruin the old one getting it apart.( Part# WSM237S).The unit now works like new. Tech Service Ph. No.:813-885-2182