stern water tank cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I cleaned the center tank nicely by opening the  port and directly putting in a good spray hose and I used a separate pump to pump it out quickly and easily rather than old fashioned drainage.
but as to the stern tank, it there  an easy way to access and drain???
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : The only way to clean the stern tank is to remove it - through the aft cabin!! 
It will take some work, but it's doable. 

If you only want to clean the tank (and not inspect for a leak) there are tank cleaners available online - to clean the tank inplace.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

that is precisely what I was trying to avoid
I was thinking of trying to slip a tube down the fill cap and pump it out, refill, pump etc for a few times
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jim Hardesty

Cliff,
Just took mine out as part of installing a rudder position sensor on the steering gear.  MKll so it may not be identical, took me less than an hour.  Empty the tank, remove the cushions, 6(?) screws for the steering cover, 6(?) for the plywood, remove the fill hose, remove the vent hose, cut 2 banding straps, then slide out the tank enough to get to the drain/supply remove the hose and remove the elbow and replace with a 1/2 inch pipe plug (so left over water doesn't spill when taking the tank out) that's it.  Tanks light when empty so it's not hard to carry.
Take a look at the vent and fill hose.  Easier to  change than clean them.  My tank was clean, I rinsed it out a couple of times and called it good.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Why bother?

Fresh Water System Recommissioning 101 - Peggie Hall's "Cocktail" http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5836.0.html

The tank is usually NOT the issue.

Spend the effort replacing the hoses.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,
In the cleaning procedure, do not forget the little water strainer under the kitchen sink.
Well I do have one, unless it was a PO addon.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~