BACK STAY RELEASE

Previous topic - Next topic

boblin

Hello everyone, getting ready to haul our tall rig keel stepped mast boat for an inspection. Our derrick because of its height or lack of can only position the lifting jig if the back stay is unhooked which is what the derrick boss tells me is how its done. I do not see any easy way to get to the forestay to release the turnbuckle to keep equal tension on both sides. Could use the main halyard for temporary stay but at some point it to will have to be released to position lifting jig  Derrick guy says mid stays will support mast? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

KWKloeber

He is correct.

On my 30 what I sometimes do is run the halyard to the base of the pedestal or a bridle between my primaries.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Craig Illman

When my C30 was surveyed last year they also needed to disconnect the backstays. The deck stepped mast didn't fall down for the couple hours it was unsupported to the rear other than the lowers.

Craig

Ron Hill

Bob : I don't know what make/model of roller furling you have, but it would only take about 4 turns on the head stay turnbuckle to ease the tension with the back stay removed.

The other 3 shrouds on each side will easily support the mast.

A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

boblin

Thanks all for your replies. I'm feeling a little better about this. Probably for peace of mind will connect halyard to a bridle.

Bob

Jim Hardesty

I have to take my fore stay back to the mast to fit our travel lift.  So I do it twice a year, that is every year I leave my mast up for winter storage.  As Ron said the 3 shrouds on each side will support the mast.  Even with my deck stepped mast.  With a keel stepped mast you have less to be concerned with.  The mast really has no place to go. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA