12 v system

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

As a proud new owner of this significantly larger boat(1986 model) I am somewhat overwhelmed by significantly more systems. While at the boat last weekend there was a power failure in the area. Much to my surprise the DC system was dead. It works fine while on shore power. I have eliminated the obvious, the batteries are connected and charged etc. Here,s the dumb question Is there a "secret switch" to activate the DC system or do I just have some kind of glitch or improper ground in the system? The manual suggests that there is a master switch before the battery selector switch.
Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Ted Pounds

Andrew,

Cangratulations on your new purchase.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it (once you get this problem straightened out).  To answer your question - no,there is no secret switch.  Either there is a disconnect between the batteries and the battery switch or a disconnnect between the batteries and the ground.  I assume with shorepower on, your charger is running the DC system.  If the charger is connected directly to the batteries then I would say it's a ground problem.  If the charger is connected to the battery switch then it could go either way.  In either case the problem could be a broken or disconnected wire or corosion (most likely at the battery terminals).  You say the batteries are charged, are you sure? They should be around 12.8 volts if fully charged.  The positive wires run directly from the batteries to the battery switch.  The ground wires go two ways (at least they do on my boat).  One large one goes to the ground point on the engine.  Three smaller ones (#10) go to the ground strip behind the electrical panel.  That should give you a start on what to check.  Good luck.
Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447