replacing fixed ports in cabin

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

I need some advise.... I just got the port and starboard windows cut for my 1987 boat, and will have them beveled at a cabinet maker...

What do you recomend I use to scuff up the surface to be mated with the caulking.  It looks like maybe a 60 grit sandpaper will do the trick... any suggestions by those that have "been there, done that?"
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

cholder

I've never had to roughen the plexiglass.  The important thing is the sealant you use.  Don't expect even expensive marine sealants to work.  The local Catalina dealer recommended a sealant produced by Dow-Corning but I don't have the number to hand.  It's a building sealant that isn't ordinary available at retail stores but can be purchased at the wholesale level.  

If you can wait about six weeks I'll have the information to hand.

Stu Jackson

Tom

We just used silicone sealant.  No scuffing, although we did not get new windows, just needed to reseal the old ones.  We did use longer screws.  I think Steve Lyle discussed this in his weblog, or perhaps someone elese did, about using longer screws.  We did it in December 1998, and they've been fine ever since.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SteveLyle

I replaced my ports last fall.  I didn't rough up the plexiglass at all.  I used the best quality silicone caulk that I could get at Home Depot.  I went looking for the Dow silicone that Charles mentions, but it was going to be a pain to get it, and I couldn't figure out what it did that the GE silicone caulk that I used didn't do.  It weathered the winter fine.

Tom Glennon

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen!  I am relieved to hear the fact that you folks did not have to scuff the surfaces...

Hopefully I'll soon report back on my delight with the nice clear (uncrazed) view from the interior!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts