Norcold replacement parts

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

My reefer went out last weekend and I had a serviceman come out to check it out.  Seems the cooling plate had a leak.  Was told this morning that Norcold does not sell replacement parts, and I will have to order a complete new compressor and plate for $900.  Anyone have a similar experience?

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

calewis

I went through the same thing when I bought Carmelita. I turned on the Norcold unit and it got cool once. Norcold is not servicable. That is why I went to Alder barber. It has run non-stop for 2 1/2 years. I always have cold water, beer and ice on the boat.

I mounted the compressor on a shelf under the drawer under the V berth. Even in the Delta near stockton in 100 degree heat, it had no problem. I was at anchor for 3 days before charging the engine. This on 2, 105 amp hour house batteries. I did not need to vent the area. It stayed cool enough with the amount of hull in the water cooling it down.

Chris Lewis

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Before you replace your system, find a technition that understands refridgeration systems--it might be possible to substitute common parts to keep your system operational.  We recently replaced some relays and the thermostat in our AC/DC unit with parts obtained from an old refridgerator (cost $0) and now it works fine.  Your plate may be reparable, or perhaps there is a compatable plate you could use as a replacement.  Chances are there is a solution that costs less than a grand!

Cheers,

Mike Vaccaro

jentine

A competent HVAC technician can epoxy the hole, install a service valve if one doesn't exist and evacuate and refill the system.  It is done all the time.
Jim Kane

Mike Smith

West Marine has an updated version of my Norcold, called Norcolder for $599 total.  Serviceman couldn't get it for anything less than $900 (his cost).  The old Norcold worked fine from '88 until now, as far as I can tell, so the new one should get me through 2018! Not bad for $40 a year!

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com